Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2911 using VOIP

Satarian22
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to learn VOIP functionality on a cisco 2911. I hope someone on here can help me with this.

I have a VOIP provider called VOIP.MS

I have a Fiber ONT connection going into a Palo Alto Firewall which handles all my routing and DHCP addressing.

The NAT for the internet is located on this firewall.

I've created a VLAN for this voice traffic. VLAN101 / Subnet 192.168.101.0/24

I have placed a Cisco 2911 device on the network running firmware c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.157-3.M3.bin

interface Gi0/0 is getting a DHCP address of 192.168.101.2

I've setup a route using the command: ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 GigabitEthernet0/0 dhcp

I'm trying to follow https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Cisco_IOS but I dont have enough understanding to know what is going wrong.

Here is my config for the relevant areas. Let me know if you need other sections.

voice service:

voice service voip
 ip address trusted list
  ipv4 162.213.157.82
 ip address trusted call-block cause not-in-cug
 gcid
 clid substitute name
 allow-connections sip to sip
 no supplementary-service sip moved-temporarily
 no supplementary-service sip refer
 fax protocol t38 version 0 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback none
 sip
  session refresh
  e911
  transport switch udp tcp
  asserted-id ppi
  localhost dns:vancouver.voip.ms
  midcall-signaling passthru
  no call service stop

sip-ua (changed the passwords to a fake number)

sip-ua
 credentials username 226468_cisco01 password 7 13240981231823 realm vancouver.voip.ms
 authentication username 226468_cisco01 password 7 13240981231823 realm vancouver.voip.ms
 registrar 1 dns:vancouver.voip.ms expires 300
 sip-server dns:vancouver.voip.ms
 host-registrar

dial-peer  (changed did to fake number)

dial-peer voice 1 voip
 huntstop
 destination-pattern 5551236541
 session protocol sipv2
 session target sip-server
 dtmf-relay cisco-rtp rtp-nte
 codec g711ulaw
 no vad

I am unsure how this device is suppose to register with my voip provider.

I am not seeing any traffic on my firewall to indicate that this device is attempting registration.

I enabled the debug ccsip but I dont see any console messages at all.

Maybe I misunderstand how this works.

I thank you for the help in advance.

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have no idea about others but if you have an "account" with a 3rd part, non-Cisco CUCM environment, I wouldn't do my configuration in the router.
Instead, get something like Asterisk-based or 3CX server and configure these to talk to the voice provider.
So when the Asterisk-based or 3CX is authenticated to the voice provider, the next step is to configure the phones to register to the Asterisk-based or 3CX server.

Hello Leo,

I understand that I can use Asterix to connect to my voip service but I thought I would learn the voice aspect of Cisco IOS.

Am I misunderstanding how the Cisco 2911 works? Should it not be able to make a connection to my VOIP provider directly?

I envision this connection flow but I could be way off.

Cisco 7945 IP Phone -> Cisco 2911 -> Palo Alto FW  Internet -> VOIP Provider

This is a test lab. I only have the one 7945 IP Phone. 

Sorry I replied using the wrong account.

That was my reply above.

Hello there,

Have you figured this out? I have the same set up but with a UDM router instead of Palo Alto. 

Thanks

LuckyAces
Level 1
Level 1
What does a ' sh dial-peer voice summary' reveal about the status of the dial-peers?

Hello,

Here is the output of that command:

HL-C2911-01#sho dial-peer voice summary
dial-peer hunt 0
             AD                                    PRE PASS SESS-SER-GRP\  OUT
TAG    TYPE  MIN  OPER PREFIX    DEST-PATTERN      FER THRU SESS-TARGET    STAT PORT    KEEPALIVE    VRF
1      voip  up   up             7806665194         0  syst sip-server                               NA
 For server-grp details please execute command:show voice classserver-group <tag_id>
 To see complete session target for ipv6 use 'sh running config | section dial-peer <tag>

Please note that I have not connected / configured the 7945 yet.

Also note that when I look at my VOIP provided the account shows as not registered.

Also I don't see any traffic leaving this router except for DNS queries.

falomassor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

Have you figured this out? I have the same set up but with a UDM router instead of Palo Alto. 

Cisco IP phone 8851 --> Cisco Switch --> cisco isr 4321 --> UDM --> SIP Provider

Thanks

Maybe you open a new question and describe in more detail, what is not working.
And I would advise you to attach the config and logs of the CUBE. Otherwise it will be "glass ball reading".

Ok. Thanks I will do that.