Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2911 Voice router

Marcus Peck
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

I am being tasked to configure a voice router in which I am totally new at. I need some advice on where to start, i do not need the entire configuration by you guys (because that's too much to ask for) but need some guidance.

Attached here is the bill of material:

CISCO2911/K9 

Cisco 2911 w/3 GE 4 EHWIC 2 DSP 1 SM 256MB CF 512MB DRAM IPB 

Qty 

S29UK9-15401T 

Cisco 2901-2921 IOS UNIVERSAL 

Qty 

SL-29-UC-K9 

Unified Communication License for Cisco 2901-2951 

Qty 

FL-CME 

Cisco Communications Manager Express License 

Qty 

FL-CME-SRST-25 

Communication Manager Express or SRST - 25 seat license 

Qty 

VIC2-4FXO 

Four-port Voice Interface Card - FXO (Universal) 

Qty 

ISM-SRE-300-K9 

Internal Services Module (ISM) with Services Ready Engine 

Qty 

SCUE-ISM-8.6-K9 

Cisco Unity Express Release 8.6 

Qty 

FL-CUE-NR-PORT-2 

Unity Express License - Non Re-hostable - 2 Port 

Qty 

CUE-LANG-ENU 

Cisco Unity Express - North American English 

Qty 

PVDM3-16 

16-channel high-density voice and video DSP module 

The scenario is as such:

PSTN -> Cisco 2911 Router -> Cisco 3650 IP Base Switch -> AP -> 4x Cisco 7925G wireless phones

Context:

1. This company has only 1 phone number. When users call into this number, all phones will ring (is it possible to have multiple extensions for this case?)

2. although 1 user is engaged in a call, other users still can use the phones (e.g. still accept new incoming and make outgoing calls)

3. There is no fax and no other uses for this router, only serving the telephony network for this project.

4. The DHCP server will be in this router, serving IP addresses to the wireless phones only. 

Above is the scenario for this task, it will be very helpful if experts here can shed light on this. Thank you for reading this and do let me know if I have missed out any information. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Marcus,

Do i need to include the dial-peer on the FXO for the incoming calls and outgoing calls? Yes

any voice translation to be configured if there are no extension numbers? Yes, you can configure to strip or match the digits of pilot number or shared line.

HTH,

Tirtha

Regards, Tirtha

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi Markus.

The below link is a good starting point.

It will lead you through all CME features and how to configure them (including DHCP definition)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmeadm/cmeplan.html

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Hi Carlo,

thanks for the link which is a very good starting point to follow as a newbie. I will go through it in detail soon and will post any queries.

Tirtha Tripathy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Marcus,

1. As the licenses here in BOM are for CME, I am considering this as a CME setup on Cisco 2911 Router

Two scenarios(see what suits you best)

4 phones have 1001,1002,1003,1004

OR

All phones have 1001 as a shared line

For share lines(Parallel Hunt Groups (Call Blast))

ephone-dn 1 octo-line
number 1001

ephone 1
type 7925
button 1:1
mac-address aaaa.aaaa.aaaa
ephone 2
type 7925
mac-address aaaa.aaaa.aaax
ephone 3
type 7925
mac-address aaaa.aaaa.aaay
ephone 4
type 7925
mac-address aaaa.aaaa.aaaz

Without shared line, 1000 is the Pilot number

voice hunt-group 4 parallel
pilot 1000
list 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004

ephone-dn 1 octo-line
number 1001
ephone-dn 2 octo-line
number 1002
ephone-dn 3 octo-line
number 1003
ephone-dn 4 octo-line
number 1004

ephone 1
type 7925
mac-address aaaa.aaaa.aaaa
ephone 2
type 7925
button 1:2
mac-address aaaa.aaaa.aaax
ephone 3
type 7925
button 1:3
mac-address aaaa.aaaa.aaay
ephone 4
type 7925
button 1:4
mac-address aaaa.aaaa.aaaz

For CUCM, we can use HP(1000)>>HL>>LG(Broadcast to any phone)

Note : I did not had a chance to test the complete configs. Please test and see if this works.

Here are few links for your help:

CME

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmeadm/cmecover.html#pgfId-1145800

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=401648&seqNum=2

CUCM :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/4_2_3/ccmfeat/ccmfeat/fsccmac.html#wp1144539

Please rate the helpful posts

Regards, Tirtha

Hi Tirtha,

thank you for the guide in this, very much appreciated. I will only test this on Monday. Will definitely post the outcome.

Hi Tirtha,

octo-line is the way to go. Do i need to include the dial-peer on the FXO for the incoming calls and outgoing calls?

Also, any voice translation to be configured if there are no extension numbers?

Thanks for you help!

Hi Marcus,

Do i need to include the dial-peer on the FXO for the incoming calls and outgoing calls? Yes

any voice translation to be configured if there are no extension numbers? Yes, you can configure to strip or match the digits of pilot number or shared line.

HTH,

Tirtha

Regards, Tirtha

Hi Tirtha,

thanks for the guidance. I have successfully configured the phone system using CME and dialing the public phone number will trigger all phones with extension 1001 to ring at the same time.

Now I just need to do some tweaking, 2 tweaks to be specific. 1. When the main line is in use, when another caller is dialling the public phone number, the public user will hear a ringtone but the IP phones (the ones that are not in use) does not ring.

2. When the main line is in use by an internal user, another internal user is not able to make a new call. How to make this possible?

Seems you're using analog trunk (/FXO). If its so, analog trunk can handle only one call at a time. Hence there is one answer for both of your questions. When analog trunk is busy, neither internal user can make new call and nor external callers can make a call to your PSTN number. However there is an exception of call waiting if supported by your TELCO. If supported and external caller tries to call your PSTN number, your internal user will get call waiting beeps.

- Vivek