Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4331 DSP - Not Enough Resources

Yort Mantup
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Is there any way around this without having to add additional DSP?  Show inventory below as well.  Trying to add a fourth PRI.

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
prt100102(config)#controller t1 0/1/2
prt100102(config-controller)#pri-group tim
prt100102(config-controller)#pri-group timeslots 1-24 service mgcp
% Not enough DSP resources available to configure pri-group on controller T1 0/1/2
% The remaining dsp resources are enough for 14 time slots.
% For current codec complexity, 1 extra dsp(s) are required to create this voice port.

NAME: "Chassis", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4331 Chassis"
PID: ISR4331/K9 , VID: V05 , SN: FLM2311V0SE

NAME: "Power Supply Module 0", DESCR: "250W AC Power Supply for Cisco ISR 4330"
PID: PWR-4330-AC , VID: V03 , SN: PST2247M0D3

NAME: "Fan Tray", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4330 Fan Assembly"
PID: ACS-4330-FANASSY , VID: , SN:

NAME: "module 0", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4331 Built-In NIM controller"
PID: ISR4331/K9 , VID: , SN:

NAME: "NIM subslot 0/1", DESCR: "NIM-4MFT-T1/E1 - T1/E1 Serial Module"
PID: NIM-4MFT-T1/E1 , VID: V04 , SN: FOC230290DL

NAME: "subslot 0/1 db module 0", DESCR: "PVDM4-128 Voice DSP Module"
PID: PVDM4-128 , VID: V02 , SN: FOC23030GE4

NAME: "NIM subslot 0/2", DESCR: "NIM-2FXS/4FXOP Voice Analog Module"
PID: NIM-2FXS/4FXOP , VID: V01 , SN: FOC23080XDR

NAME: "NIM subslot 0/0", DESCR: "Front Panel 3 ports Gigabitethernet Module"
PID: ISR4331-3x1GE , VID: V01 , SN:

NAME: "module 1", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4331 Built-In SM controller"

NAME: "module R0", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4331 Route Processor"
PID: ISR4331/K9 , VID: V05 , SN: FLM230507ED

NAME: "module F0", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4331 Forwarding Processor"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yes, you need to remove the dspfarm to free the pvdms. 

Response Signature

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming resources are being used on dspfarms, you'd need to free those resources to use on the pri. 

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Sadav Ansari
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To resolve this issue, calculate the number of DSPs consumed by the current configuration (T1,  Foreign Exchange Office (FXO), Foreign Exchange Service (FXS)) on the Cisco 4331 Series router with the DSP Calculator

. A fully loaded t1 consumes 23

channels. One channel each is consumed for FXO and FXS configurations. Determine the number of DSPs free to be configured for a new T1 connection.

If the existing configuration consumes the available DSPs, either delete the unused existing configuration or purchase more DSPs for the 4331 Series router (from the list of supported PVDMs).

Pls rate if helpful. If this answered your question pls click “Accept As Solution”

The new generation of Cisco FXO/FXS NIMs add improvements over the previous WAN interface cards (VICs and VIC2s). The FXO, FXS, E/M, and BRI NIMs contain an onboard DSP and don’t require the router to have dedicated packet voice DSP module (PVDM) on the motherboard. The DSP on the voice module is necessary for the voice features. It also provides for echo cancellation of up to 128-ms echo-tail length for demanding network conditions.

Response Signature

NIM-4MFT-T1/E1 with 128 PVDM subslot will be sufficient to cover your requirement. looks like you are sharing PVDM4-128 resource with  some voice services. Removing it from dspfarms and this will free up the pvdm.

Response Signature

Thank you for the replies.  Nithin, are you suggestion I remove the dsp services dspfarm command from voice-card 0/1?  

voice-card 0/1
dsp services dspfarm
no watchdog
!
voice-card 0/2
no watchdog

yes, you need to remove the dspfarm to free the pvdms. 

Response Signature

Ok, I thought that would break things.  Is that all that is required to free them up or do I need to reassign them and if so, how would I do that?

Thank you

If you remove that will free the PVDm and you can use it for the NIM-PRI. 

Cisco 4000 Series PVDMs are available in two form factors with four supported densities in each form factor:

●   Motherboard PVDMs (PVDM4) for densities up to 256 channels (Figure 1)

●   PVDM enhanced services modules (SM-X-PVDM) for densities up to 3080 channels (Figure 2)

The motherboard PVDMs are supported on all Cisco 4000 Series ISRs. They can be plugged directly into the single slot on the router motherboard or into the network interface module (NIM) that supports T1/E1 ports. A PVDM4 module plugged into the motherboard delivers IP-based voice services such as conferencing, media optimization, and transcoding only.

A PVDM4 module plugged into the T1/E1 NIM would be used for voice T1/E1 connectivity. Any excess channels can be reused toward other IP-based services supported on the motherboard slot. Enhanced DSP architecture accommodates a new packet-processing engine optimized for rich-media voice applications, while concurrently supporting the TDM-IP voice framework.

Response Signature

Ok, so I have to remove the PVDM4 module from the mother board and install it on the T1/E1 NIM.  I think I am following you now as well as the document.

Your PVDM is on NIM card and not on motherboard . You are  using pvdm free  channels  toward other IP-based services. Once you remove them from dspfarm you can use those channels for PRI. 

NAME: "NIM subslot 0/1", DESCR: "NIM-4MFT-T1/E1 - T1/E1 Serial Module"
PID: NIM-4MFT-T1/E1 , VID: V04 , SN: FOC230290DL

NAME: "subslot 0/1 db module 0", DESCR: "PVDM4-128 Voice DSP Module"
PID: PVDM4-128 , VID: V02 , SN: FOC23030GE4

Response Signature

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

What's the full dspfarm configuration that you have at the moment?  You may be able to reduce the number of sessions in the dspfarm profiles, rather than necessarily having to remove the service altogether.

Tony,

That is what I ended up doing and was able to configure the 4th PRI.

Thx!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: