Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4331 router MoH from CUCM

Michael Schmidt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have one installation with Cisco 4331 router configured as H323 gateway at CUCM.

The problem is that callers from outside don`t hear MoH when they are hold or transfered. They hear nothing while hold or tranfser.

MoH internal is working.

The configuration is mostly the same as at other installation with Cisoc 29xx routers as H323 configured where MoH to external is working fine.

At the Cisco 4331 gateway at CUCM the MRGL is configured to use CUCM as MoH source.

Actually in the gateway at CUCM "Media Termination Point Required" is disabled as when I enable it the external call will be immediately disconnected when I press hold or transfer.

Is there something special to configure to get MoH over the Cisco 4331 router?

BR

Michael

23 Replies 23

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Michael,

Are you using Multicast MOH ? if so, can you provide the IOS version on the gateway. there were few defects with some IOS versions which affects multicast MOH functionality.

HTH

Rajan

Hi Rajan,

no we don`t use multicast MoH. Multicast checkbox is disabled in the SampleAudioSource at CUCM.

Any other idea?

BR

Michael

Hi,

1. Cross check your MRG, MRGL, and MoH config

2. verify that MoH is invoked when you press hold button using the CLI command show perf query class "Cisco MOH Device"

3. If MoH is invoked, then on your gateway use the command show call active voice brief to see if TX/RX is increasing and call is connected. Indicate your calling and called numbers.

Hi Mohammed,

1. I checked MRG, MRGL and MoH once again.

- MoH Servers are both online / registered (pub / sub)

- Both MoH servers are configured in the MRG

- MRG is added to MRGL

- MRGL is configured at Gateway

2. When I press "hold" while an active external phone call this line increase from 0 to 1 at CUCM " MOH_PUB         -> MOHUnicastResourceActive       = 1"

3. While pressing "hold" button I checked the router "show call active voice brief" but TX/RX was not increasing

BR

Michael

Hi Michael,

Could you check whether the region settings between all the devices involved in this call is set to g711 including the region settings between MOH and the endpoints.

HTH

Rajan

Hi Rajan,

Hi Mohammed,

the settings in all regions is 64 k (G722 / G711).

In the attachment please find the output of show call active voice brief and debug h225 asn

BR

Michael

The region setting is using g729r8. See below. As quick test, enable g729 under IPVMS service parameters and see if it works

76C  : 834 165335120ms.1 (*08:10:59.854 MEZ Fri Feb 19 2016) +5250 pid:2 Answer 7335 active
 dur 00:00:41 tx:0/0 rx:0/0 dscp:0 media:0 audio tos:0xB8 video tos:0x0
 IP 0.0.0.0:0 SRTP: off rtt:0ms pl:0/0ms lost:0/0/0 delay:0/0/0ms g729r8 TextRelay: off Transcoded: No ICE: Off
 media inactive detected:n media contrl rcvd:n/a timestamp:n/a
 long duration call detected:n long duration call duration:n/a timestamp:n/a
 LostPacketRate:0.00 OutOfOrderRate:0.00

76C  : 835 165335690ms.1 (*08:11:00.428 MEZ Fri Feb 19 2016) +4680 pid:10 Originate 0XXXXXXXX8151 active
 dur 00:00:41 tx:0/0 rx:0/0 dscp:0 media:0 audio tos:0x0 video tos:0x0
 Tele 0/1/0 (835) [0/1/0.1] tx:43650/43650/0ms g729r8 noise:-77 acom:6  i/0:-67/-65 dBm

Hi Mohammed,

in the service parameters at Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming App all these Codecs as "Supported MOH Codecs" are selected:

711 mulaw

711 alaw

729 Annex A

Wideband

I also tried with only 729 Annex A selected but no change. MoH not available from outside call.

I don`t know why there is g729r8 is using as I have 7 regions configured in CUCM and in all regions the only audio codec is 64 k (g711/g722).

BR

Michael

Hi Michael,

The coec selection happens like this " the configured codec to use is 64 (g711/722), then the CUCM will check the codecs supported by both ends and if both sides has any similar codec which is lesser than or equal to 64K, it will be used. Hence in this case g729 is negotiated.

Can you try selecting only g711 in the MOH parameters if you are not using g729 anywhere for MOH to see whether that helps and if g729 is used for playing MOH for any internal calls, then try invoking a transcoder between the endpoints where we have issue.

HTH

Rajan

Hi Rajan,

if I select only g711 mulaw in the Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming App then I get instead of nothing 2 short beeptones before I hear nothing.

@Mohammed:

In every region there is only g711/g722 configured for usage. Where should I check if g729 is used?

BR

Michael

On the h323 gateway check what codec is configured on the matched inbound dialpeer

Hi,

on the inbound dialpeer there is configured:

codec g711ulaw

When I make an inbound call the call is a G711 call but I don`t hear any MoH.

When I make an outbound call the call is a G729 call and I also don`t hear MoH.

What we already tried is to configure a transcoder at the 4331 router and use this registered transcoder in the MGRL but we also don`t hear any MoH.

I only heare MoH at an inbound call which is G711 when I use "Media Termination Point Required" at the gateway at the CUCM -> how can I play MoH without setting  configure "Media Termination Point Required"?

What could be the problem that outbound calls are G729 calls and where can I configure that outbound calls are G711 although I use everywhere at CUCM / router G711?

BR

Michael

Sounds like your problem is your Provider doesn't like the a=inactive in the SDP, which is why MTP fixes your issue. I don't think you are going to get around using MTP's to fix this problem, but you may wish to configure the software MTP on the 4331 so that you can control it better.

If I can fix the problem with the transcoder configured in the router it maybe also ok for me.

The main problem at the moment is still that outgoing calls still are G729 but I don`t know why and when the calls are G729 MoH is NOT working.

How can I fix the problem that outgoing calls are also G711 calls?

BR

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: