Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6911 VLAN problem

tiago.molinos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we've been installing this new equipment on a new Call Manager solution for a costumer. Everithing worked fine but now we're facing the following problem:

- We have a few units connected to an HP Switch;

- The switch is VLAN capable;

- The switch is configured as a trunk tagging both the data and the voice vlan;

- We want to use the switch funcionallity on the phone to connect to a computer;

Since the phone configures the voice vlan by CDP and the switch doesn't have that Cisco Proprietary Protocol, is there any way to manually configure the data and the voice vlan on the phone itself??

Thanks in advance,

Tiago Molinos

5 Replies 5

lusandi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Tiago,

Try this:

Disable the tagging for the data vlan, and assing that as the native vlan for the trunk.

Use the trunk configuration.

Select the administrative vlan on the ip phone to match the voice vlan.

Confirm that it is working as desired.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know can I select the VLAN in this specific (without screen) new model? I think that's my main problem...

I was wondering if I could connect the phone to a cisco voice vlan configured switch, let the new phone learn the VLAN IDs, and then, connect it to the HP one...

Tiago

Hello,

I've been digging a bit deeper, and found that 6611 also suports LLDP. The problem is that it seems that it has to be LLDP-MED, an extension to this open discovery protocol. To HP 2510 Switch supports LLDP but still I doesn't advertise the Voice VLAN.

We also have Cisco 7931 Phones in this switch and we managed to get them working by manually set the VLAN ID.

How can I do the same in the 6911 model???

Regards,

Tiago Molinos

tiago.molinos
Level 1
Level 1

I can't seem to find anywere how to manually set the VLAN IDs in this phone model !!

Does anyone know how?!?!?

Best Regards

Tiago Molinos

Hi Tiago,

I don't think that one can actually set the VLAN manually in the integrated IVR of the 6911 phone. Hence we can actually take a step back and configure LLDP on the HP switch.

According to me, on an HP Procurve 2510G, all you have to do is 'tag' the port for voice vlan and also use the 'voice' keyword. I hope this part of the switch config is fine but just to give you an example, the config would look something like this:-

2510(config)# vlan 1 name data
2510(config)# vlan 1 untagged 1-24
2510(config)# vlan 10 name voip
2510(config)#
vlan 10 tagged 1-24
2510(config)#
vlan 10 voice

By the way which version of the phone firmware are you running on 6911? This is reqd coz there is a bug which you may be hitting in which the switch doesn't advertize the correct vlan id to the IP phone.

HTH

Regards

Nitesh Sinha

PS: Please rate helful posts