cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7941G-GE firmware update to SIP for AsteriskPBX

rlyttle01
Level 1
Level 1

Just received a 7941G-GE and cant seem to get it working.  When I received the phone, it still had the IP address of wherever it came from.  So after checking 20 forums, I thought I had it.  downloaded the files, from 3rd parties because I was unable to get them from cisco.  After that, I tried to update the firmware using TFTP32, in VirtualBox and had no luck.  Now the phone just lights up for a second, then NOTHING.  I have come to find out that I was trying with the wrong files.  I had files for the 7940 not  the 7941G-GE.  So if anyone out their is knowledgeable about this phone and changing it to SIP for ASTERISK, could you please HELP ME?

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the MAC address of the phone and post the SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf file.

finally got it configured and updated to SIP thanks to louis0001.  Now I need to set it up to use on my ASTERISK PBX.  any suggestions?  trying to use 2 Google Voice Trunks for 2 lines to connect to the 7941G-GE.  The PBX system is running in VirtualBox, would that be a problem?  Do I need to use a dedicated machine?

The first task is to get the Asterisk to talk to Google Voice.

I have added the Google Voice truck, just having a problem adding my 7941G-GE to test and see if it even works.  Any suggestions?  using incrediblePBX in VirtualBox

Post the SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf file.

<device>
<deviceProtocol>SIP</deviceProtocol>
<sshUserId>cisco</sshUserId>
<sshPassword>cisco</sshPassword>
<devicePool>
<dateTimeSetting>
<dateTemplate>D-M-Y</dateTemplate>
<timeZone>US Eastern Standard Time</timeZone>
<ntps>
<ntp>
<name>dk.pool.ntp.org</name>
</ntp>
</ntps>
</dateTimeSetting>
<callManagerGroup>
<members>
<member priority="0">
<callManager>
<ports>
<ethernetPhonePort>2000</ethernetPhonePort>
<sipPort>5060</sipPort>
<securedSipPort>5061</securedSipPort>
</ports>
<processNodeName>192.168.2.15</processNodeName>
</callManager>
</member>
</members>
</callManagerGroup>
</devicePool>
<sipProfile>
<sipProxies>
<registerWithProxy>true</registerWithProxy>
</sipProxies>
<enableVad>false</enableVad>
<!—Note – This following may need to be just g711 in later firmware versions -->
<preferredCodec>g711ulaw</preferredCodec>
<natEnabled></natEnabled>
<phoneLabel>Cisco_Phone</phoneLabel>
<sipLines>
<line button="1">
<featureID>9</featureID>
<featureLabel>100</featureLabel>
<proxy>192.168.2.15</proxy>
<name>100</name>
<displayName>100</displayName>
<authName>100</authName>
<authPassword>secretpassword</authPassword>
<messagesNumber>999</messagesNumber>
</line>
<line button="2">
<featureID>21</featureID>
<featureLabel>SpeedDial</featureLabel>
<speedDialNumber>80808080</speedDialNumber>
</line>
</sipLines>
<dialTemplate>DRdialplan.xml</dialTemplate>
</sipProfile>
<commonProfile>
<phonePassword></phonePassword>
</commonProfile>
<loadInformation>SIP41.9-2-3S</loadInformation>
<versionStamp>1143565489-a3cbf294-7526-4c29-8791-c4fce4ce4c37</versionStamp>
<directoryURL></directoryURL>
<servicesURL></servicesURL>
</device>

Wow.  That is the shortest SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml contents I've ever seen!  Ok, here goes ... 

<loadInformation>SIP41.9-2-3S</loadInformation> 

Ok, the firmware is 9.2(3).  

NOTE:  I think I've used this before and I didn't like it.  Be careful with this version.  FYI:  My home phones are using 9.4(2)SR2 and this version seems to be good.  

Now, the firmware is version 9.X.  This bit is important.  

<proxy>192.168.2.15</proxy> 

This line would be OK if the firmware is 8.X but with 9.X things changed.  The value to this XML tag should be "USECALLMANAGER" or "<proxy>USECALLMANAGER</proxy>" (minus the double-quote, of course). 

<transportLayerProtocol>0 or 2</transportLayerProtocol>

The <transportLayerProtocol> tag is missing.  In firmware version 8.X, the default is UDP but with 9.X there is the option of using TCP &/or UDP.  If using TCP, the value should be "0".  If using UDP the value should be "2".  Take note, that this setting must be reflected on the Asterisk Extension setting.  This means if the phone is configured for UDP, the Asterisk Extension should also be UDP.  

Kindly have a look at THIS example of a valid SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf.xml file.

could you send me the version 9.4(2)SR firmware files that you are referring to?  That might help.  And do I need to recreate my config file as well to reflect what you sent me in your last message?

And do I need to recreate my config file as well to reflect what you sent me in your last message?

Edit the SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file using Notepad (or whatever floats your boat) and then upload it back to your TFTP server.

could you send me the version 9.4(2)SR firmware files that you are referring to?

The file can be downloaded from the Cisco website.

let me know if you need me to send anything else.  And, thanks for even taking the time out to help me.

I have made the changes that you instructed me to, now the server is saying that the phone is asking for 3 .tlv files.  I dont have any .tlv files.  Where would I get these?