cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7942/62 phones stuck in upgrading

ionicpolarity
Level 1
Level 1

As the title states some phones we have purchased from authorized Cisco refurbished partner are 7942 and 62.

Call manager is 8.5.1

Switches are Extreme

Firmware version is "UNKNOWN" as the phones go immediately to upgrading, ip is not accessible from browser either.

There is no security files to delete in the menu because it can't be reached, even on phones that I can get to the menu they have been cleared of all settings and still nothing.

IP is coming from extreme core switch with option 150, this could be the problem. We are school district and I am a contractor. The schools decided that they would get rid of the Cisco network and go with extreme due to clever sales(Not my advice) and now we have this issue. 

10 Replies 10

ionicpolarity
Level 1
Level 1

Also, the phones we buy that do work are running SCCP9.3.1SR1 our CUCM is running SCCP42.8-5-2s
I had the idea to downgrade manually using TFTP32 on cisco switch. Everytime I try this the phones will not see tftp. Im sure im missing something here, any adivce would be great.

PS. I have tried all the upgrade/downgrade steps that Cisco gives as far as doing it on call manager using their tftp upload and change device defaults. 

Hello,

My name is Rozana and i am an engineer from the SBSC team.

The CP phones, especially those running with a Call Manager, are supported by our enterprise team.
I advise you to open a thread in their section, so they could assist you.

Regards.

I consider, it's better to move this thread to appropriate community.

I will do it within few seconds.

Thanks for being useless just like last time!

I opened the thread in the IP TEL section, should I open it on mars?

If the phones are stuck in upgrade, start with checking the folllowing:

- From the switch, use sh cdp ne det to see if the phone gets and IP address

- Check the connectivity between the phone and tftp server (make sure that all ports are allowed as tftp uses random ports in addition to udp 69)

Why don't you install newer 79XX firmware on the callmanager? 8-5 is a little old

JH

It was vlan tagging, another engineer made changes and told no one. We took it off one port and the phones connect. SOLVED

Georgios Fotiadis
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have you tried to simply power-on the phone (no DHCP, no option 150)? Can you see the firmware then?

Is the phone is configured as SCCP or SIP at CUCM?

Georgios
Please rate if you find this helpful.

Yes, I tried to just power them on. We bought them from outside source, it seems the people who sold them to us did an erase config before sending them. Holding down # then 123456789*0# then they just unplugged the phone and shipped them!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: