Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7942 Stuck upgrading

Nathan Hardman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have been looking on the forum but not managed to come up with a fix for my issue, we had an issue with a site not being able to talk to the publisher last week so we factory reset the phone thinking was a config/tftp issue, it turned out that it was a routing issue at the head office.

Now i have a phone stuck upgrading and not able to be used.

How do i look at getting the phone usable again?

Thanks

Nath

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am having same issue. We are having an issue with the TFTP service on a new rebuilt subscriber that crashed. Unfortunately we have not found the fix for the TFTP issue but as a workaround you can update the VLAN DHCP pool primary Option 150 to route these TFTP requests to a different subscriber (if available). This proves to be a good workaround until we fix the fallen subscriber.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nathan,

You can try connecting that phone to another switchport where another phone is able to download the TFTP config correctly. Else you may try the factory reset again.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Thanks for the responces guys

The TFTP server was not available when we factory reset but at that point we didn't know the phone could talk to the server until we found the routing issue, this means we may have bricked the phone.

I have emailed the customer to try a different port & will try a new factory reset.

Thanks both

I am having same issue. We are having an issue with the TFTP service on a new rebuilt subscriber that crashed. Unfortunately we have not found the fix for the TFTP issue but as a workaround you can update the VLAN DHCP pool primary Option 150 to route these TFTP requests to a different subscriber (if available). This proves to be a good workaround until we fix the fallen subscriber.

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A factory reset requires DHCP and a TFTP, if you didn't have them while performing the procedure, there are chances you might have bricked the endpoint. As Manish says, try to plug it into a port which has access to the above, and it just might come back, if not, you'll want to RMA it

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

kate94925
Level 1
Level 1

My phone Cisco CP-7945G just goes "upgrading" and then the CISCO screen and does nothing and then goes to the upgrading screen and back to the Cisco screen as a loop.  No dial tone and the other buttons do not work.  What do i do? I bought from amazon and it was new from a box and now bought power adapter can lose half if send back 

Please can you kindly help me ? Thank you 

Sadav Ansari
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Connect phone any working port if still having same issue like stuck on upgrading that’s means phone having bootstrap loader issue(firmware of phone which is stored on flash memory of ip phone corrupted), so raise RMA.

Dear Sadav

Thank you for email.

I am a layman and dont understand any of the email.

Please can you explain what is working port? from where to where ? do you mean the ethernet?

What is firmware?  is that software in the phone?

What is bootstrap loader? is that sortware in the phone

Do i return the phone to amazon as it was bought new with no warranty and appears stock is from 2016

What is RMA? There is no warranty or service agreement?

How do i contact who? For RMA?

Thank you 

Hi Kate,

Yes please connect that phone on any working Ethernet port where where another phone already connect and working.

Firmware means operations system of phone like other device( Laptop, mobile have OS)

Bootstrap is mechanism where phone download it firmware first time which  are store is flash memory of IP phone for initiating its hardware and software.

some phone unable to download firmware and stucked on Cisco logo which means phone firmware is corrupted for this we need to replace  phone if  it’s under Warranty  or AMC( Annual management contact) with Cisco.

Thank you for the explanation - i understand now ....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: