cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7942G Phones

dalbright1
Level 1
Level 1

So we recently had some phones replaced under warranty with these refurbished 7942G models.

First 4 phones, we plugged in, they loaded up and we programmed them in CUCM and everything was good. The 5th and 6th phone come up with an error "Registration Rejected: Security Error". These are using the same Ethernet cable on the same switch as the first four that had no problems.

I did a reset on them and they come up to the same error. Any chance there is something in the phone causing this that needs cleared?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Are you using auto registration or manually configuring the phones in CUCM? If auto registration, this error can also be caused by the pool of auto registration DNs being exhausted. Try manually adding the phone in CUCM.

Brandon

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try deleting the ITL file.

• Choose Settings > Security Configuration.

• Press**# and erase the ITL file in order to unlock the IP Phone.

Brandon

I tried that just now, got the message on the screen "Erasing CTL and ITL files" and now I am resetting again since the error still appeared. Will updated after the reset.

Try a factory reset:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7962g_7961g_7961g-ge_7942g_7941g_7941g-ge/9_0/english/admin_guide/P746_BK_IC15BCED_00_adminguide-7941g-7941g-ge-7942-7961g-7961g-ge-7962g/P746_BK_IC15BCED_00_adminguide-7941g-7941g-ge-7942-7961g-7961g-ge-7962g_chapter_01001.html#P746_TK_PFF95B54_00

After deleting the ITL/CTL and the factory reset I am still seeing the same error.

Just curious, what firmware is installed on the phone? Go to Settings>Model information>Load File.

What version are you running on your CUCM cluster? Some older 7900 6.0(2) firmware will not upgrade because of a difference in security format. You have to go through an intermediate version.

It is SCCP42.9-2-3S.

CUCM is 8.6.2.22900-9

The auto registration pool seemed to be the issue. We had hit our last number and adjusted the pool size and voila, new phone registered.

I took a third phone and opened it up and plugged it in and get the same error message.

Are you using auto registration or manually configuring the phones in CUCM? If auto registration, this error can also be caused by the pool of auto registration DNs being exhausted. Try manually adding the phone in CUCM.

Brandon

We adjusted our pool so we wouldn't have to manually add phones each time and that worked, we must've hit the limit with the last phone we plugged in whenever that was.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: