Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7965 Phones are registering to the wrong Unified CM1

dianareyes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have come across an interesting issue and reaching out to the Cisco Support Community for any help.  I didn't really find anything in regards to my problem.  Client is reporting a handful of Cisco 7965 Phones that are registering to the wrong Unified CM Config.  The phone works just fine and the Unified CM1 is active, however the Active/CM1 is the incorrect address. When checking the Device Pool > Cisco Unified CM Group > Group the Select Cisco Unified Communications Managers list is correct so I'm not absolutely sure why this phone connects to the 2nd listing and not the first one.

At this point, I've tried everything I could think of including a Factory reset on phone; Removed the phone and re-added it in CallManager; i tried to get the xml of the phone but received a "XML is unavaiable" message so that idea went out the window.  I've tried configuring the phone to a different Device pool and resetting the phone via CManager and it continues to register to the incorrect CM.

Has anyone ever come across this issue?  If so, what was your fix?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!  

Thanks in advance,

Dee

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The information about what the IP address of the primary CUCM is found in the DHCP option 150.  If it is happening to a group of phones, then this sounds like DHCP Option 150 for a subnet of phones are set incorrectly.

In regards to Factory Reset of phones, there is a large move, starting somewhere in phones loaded with firmware 9.X, from the "traditional" method of "holding the # button and press 123456789*0#" as this option is no longer available.  I am not sure if this is a "bug" or a new feature.  If your phones are loaded with 9.X firmware, the only method is to use the "Settings" key, unlock (**#) and the "Erase" soft key option should appear in the lower right-hand corner.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The information about what the IP address of the primary CUCM is found in the DHCP option 150.  If it is happening to a group of phones, then this sounds like DHCP Option 150 for a subnet of phones are set incorrectly.

In regards to Factory Reset of phones, there is a large move, starting somewhere in phones loaded with firmware 9.X, from the "traditional" method of "holding the # button and press 123456789*0#" as this option is no longer available.  I am not sure if this is a "bug" or a new feature.  If your phones are loaded with 9.X firmware, the only method is to use the "Settings" key, unlock (**#) and the "Erase" soft key option should appear in the lower right-hand corner.

Sounds like phones are registering with the TFTP server, check to see if the CM servers are defined with hostnames or FQDN and if so, ensure the DHCP scope phones are using has proper DNS server defined that can resolve the hostnames. 

Phone log pulled from phone IP address might be helpful, also check the status messages via the phone or from its web site.

Chris

aditya deshmukh
Level 1
Level 1

Try Reseting the IP Phone CTL manually :

press settings --> then **# to unlock the settings -> then go to security configuration -> Trust list -> select the CTL file and press erase

The phone will reset and wait for downloading the new CTl files from the tftp server.

Reference Link #

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7975G_7971g-ge_7970g_7965g_7945g/8_0/english/administration/guide/7970oip.html

Regards,

Aditya

All, 

Thank you so much for your responses and suggestions!  I really do appreciate it and glad to say this issue has been resolved

We tried resetting the IP Phone CTL manually by performing the steps provided and found out CTL file was "Not Installed".  We then took a step back and tried performing a Factory reset and the phone again, only this time we received a different outcome.  The phone reset and then began to upgrade, once the Upgrade was completed the phone registered to the correct CM.   I'm thinking the person who said performed the Factory Reset before may have not done it correctly.

Thanks Again!

Dee

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: