Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7965 SCCP Phones retrieving SEP<mac>.cnf.xml file with HTTP Protocol

Kyle Sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My Cisco IP Phones (SCCP protocol) have stopped requesting the SEP<mac>.cnf.xml configuration using the TFTP protocol and started using HTTP.  I can not figure out why this recently started happening. I have attached a wireshark trace of the SEP file exchange and SCCP registration if that can help answer why this started happening.  My cluster / CUCM is running in nonsecure mode so I do not understand why the files are now appended with .sgn.

IP Phone 192.168.11.111

CUCM 192.168.30.60

Thanks for any insight,

-Kyle

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you upgrade the phone FW?

That has been the "new" behavior for quite some time now, phones first try HTTP, and if it doesn't work, then they fallback to TFTP

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you upgrade the phone FW?

That has been the "new" behavior for quite some time now, phones first try HTTP, and if it doesn't work, then they fallback to TFTP

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jamie,

Thank you for the quick response. I am running CUCM 11.5 (System version 11.5.1.13902-2) in my lab for development purposes. IP blue Software is a development partner of Cisco. We are doing registration and failover testing for a joint customer of ours. (Cisco & IP blue) A few weeks ago when I was testing and comparing to a IP Phone TFTP was the protocol used for negotiation between the 7965 and CUCM. I just checked the firmware image on the phone *SCCP45.9-4-2SR-1S*.  I haven't upgraded the device pack(s) recently on CUCM.

My understanding was the SCCP phones used TFTP by default and SIP Phones used HTTP. I'm trying to figure out why / how this changed in my lab setup and if we should integrate support for HTTP GET request first and then fallback on TFTP if HTTP is unreachable. 

I've been looking on Cisco's website for updated documentation around this but must not be looking in the correct spot. 

Thanks,

Kyle Sullivan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: