Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7971 - reboot loop upgrading... failed

cyberhostpro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I got a Cisco 7971 refurb today, i read online to reset the config hold # during boot and enter 123456789*0#  which rebooted the phone.

Now it boots up and shows upgrading screen, then says error and reboots itself.

anyone know how i can fix this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris,

Glad to know it worked. I was just downloading the files for you.

Dont forget to rate helpful posts. It does help 1. people with similar problems to know what the resolution was and 2. Appreciates people who tried to help..

Please rate all useful posts

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

99% of the time this is because the phone is unable to upgrade its firmware either because

1. It cant contact the tftp server

2. Its cannot upgrade from the present firmware to the one on the server that its attemption to connect to.

Are you running CUCME or CUCM?

Hi

i am not sure.. i only got the phone today.  Is their a way i can get in to setup to check/change the TFTP settings ive tried pressing settings, holding it down and nothing is now giving me the settings menu to make any changes.

I take it you dont know if the vlan configuration is in place and the dhcp setup is also done. Do you know what the tftp ip address is? Can you plug a pc to that port and ping that ip? Does the phone pickup an ip address from the dhcp server? is option 150 configured on the dhcp server?

Hi

I configured the phone with 192.168.1.6 which pings from my PC when the phone reboots.  i set the tFTP servers to 192.168.1.3 (my pc) and secondary the PBX (trixbox) IP. 

the reason for the reset is, we followed a guide online do swap to SIP firmware (i downloaded latest version) then when it goes to transfer the file it says auth failed.  So i followed a guide to reset to factory defaults when this happened.

Finally.. what is option 150 on the DHCP server?  were just using a small Netgear router in the office.

Chris,

You need to look at the documentation for the PBX. This is essentially a forum to support Cisco CUCM or CME. I am not sure this is the best place to come for tribox..

Your tftp ip cant be your pc..It has to be the pbx..unless its a software running on your pc

Hi

I have tftp running on my pc to do a firmware upgrade. How do I get to th settings page? It's just stuck on this screen attached then reboots.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Check the tftp, you will need to set option 150 in the DHCP portion, as well having all the firmware files.

cyberhostpro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'll go back the office now as I want this fixed for tomorrow. So should I connect the phone to the back of my pc and configure a gateway on my pc open tftp app tithe firmware folder? What do you mean by DHCP 150 is this something I do on windows on the pc?

Yes, you can setup option 150 in tftpd32.

There are many posts on the subject if you search the forum.

cyberhostpro
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks. I'll go back the office now. I'll reply later if not tomorrow

Hi

I've not got DHCP setup on my PC and its getting an IP.. when it comes to transferring the firmware it says auth failed.  Old firmware was 7.2 i believe when i checked yesterday (no way of checking now) its set to SCCP the firmware i downloaded is the v.latest 9.2.3 SIP firmware. 

If a older firmware should be tried.. am up for that if I can get hold of one, cisco site wouldn't let me download older firmwares only the latest.

The upgrade might fail depending on the current version installed on the phone.

What version are you currently running and which version are you trying to upgrade to?

Luis A.

cyberhostpro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've  not got DHCP setup on my PC and its getting an IP.. when it comes to  transferring the firmware it says auth failed.  Old firmware was 7.2 i  believe when i checked yesterday (no way of checking now) its set to  SCCP the firmware i downloaded is the v.latest 9.2.3 SIP firmware. 

If  a older firmware should be tried.. am up for that if I can get hold of  one, cisco site wouldn't let me download older firmwares only the  latest.

You shoud be able to download 8.5.2, that will work as a "bridge" between older versions and the latest.

Anyway considering you do not have a call system, I do not see the point of having a phone?

Consider that if you plan to use it with a SIP provider, that will cause you further aggravation, because the Cisco phones are noot much suited for that, you can as well use instead some model made for home or small business.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: