cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8811 IP Phone Firmware Upgrade

Jason Amick
Level 1
Level 1

I have a TAC case opened but I do not think the engineer assigned is completely understanding my questions on how to properly upgrade a dual bank/boot cisco IP phone such as the cisco 8811. I do have the documentation below on how to upgrade a single IP phone but its seems it is only documented for the older generation phones such as the 7962 where you would make note of the current firmware load in device defaults and then once the new firmware .cop has been installed on CUCM then you would paste the old firmware back into device defaults so that all the phones would not auto upgrade.  I would then restart the TFTP service and manually specify the phone load on a single device and restart the phone so that it pulls the new firmware.

How does the process work for a dual boot phone such as the cisco 8811 as it has 2 fields Load Information (which is greyed out) and inactive load information?  After you install the .cop file will it auto update the Load Information field?  If so how do you change it back to the old firmware load?  Please let me know if you need any additional information or if I am being unclear.  Thanks!!

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-ip-phone-7900-series/108090-upgrade-ip-firmware.html

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The process is the same, as the load specified on the phone will overwrite the device default and as long as the load matches on TFTP server the phone will be upgraded to this version. The difference is that while these phones are upgrading they continue to work as oppose to 79XX being down during the upgrade process. Once 88XX upgrades you can see the current active and inactive loads in CUCM.

Chris:

Thanks for the response and thanks for clarifying how the phones upgrade in the background but are still functional.  However I want to be sure the firmware I am testing is functional in our environment.  In my screenshot under Load Information for the 8811 I currently have sip88xx11-5-1-18 which is what we currently run on the 8811 devices and in the Inactive Load its specified with sip88xx.10-3-1-20. I am looking to go to 11-7 code. After the upgrade file has been deployed on the TFTP/CUCM cluster it would update the Load Information correct?  Will I then have to hit the swap loads button to revert back to the previous sip88xx11-5-1-18 code and then manually upgrade a single phone?  Thanks!!

If you mean at the defaults, yes, you only need to hit the swap buttons to turn your inactive load into the active one, or hard code the FW you want at the device level.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jamie/Chris:

Thank you both for the responses, I think you both responded with the information I need.  Thanks again!!