Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8821 Wireless Phone issues

jromanecz1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I currently have about 30 Cisco 7925G wireless phones in our warehouses.  I just purchased and configured a few 8821's as Cisco is replacing the 7925's.  I'm running CUCM v. 9-1-2 and configuration went fine.

I have 3 issues thus far:

1.  There is no unlock key sequence  (* * #) as in the 7925's to access the network profiles.  I have a case open with TAC on this and they had me setup a new common device configuration and use * * # in the unlock local phone field.  That didn't work and there seems to be nothing in the documentation about unlocking settings at the device.  I can disable or restrict access in CUCM, but since I deploy these across the country, I'd like to still have the key sequence in case something happened with the phone's connection to CUCM.

2. WiFi connection:  I have newly installed Cisco Meraki MR-32 access points throughout our warehouses.  Our 7925 phones have great connection to them as I hardly see a signal bar drop.  The 8821's drop down and up constantly. In CUCM under Product Specific Configuration Layout, the 8821's are set to Continuous for Scan Mode (I also understand this to be a not supported feature yet).  The 7925's are set to Auto, so I changed the 8821's to Auto.  Same behavior.

3.  Personal directory:  Since I'm on CUCM 9-1-2, we don't have the user self care portal.  The personal directory on the phone asks for a user login and password.  Is there anyway to make local a local phonebook, or copy the phonebook from the 7925's?

Thanks in advance.  There's not a lot of info for 8821's out there yet.

-Jeff

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bobby Stojceski
Level 1
Level 1

Highly recommend updating to firmware 11.0.3 at a minimum. I'm on 11.0.3ES1 currently due to a long-lasting TAC case with Cisco over numerous issues with the 8821 handsets. I can say for sure your point # 2 above is common for me as well.

I can't be of any help on your other 2 points though sorry. We run CUCM 11.5 so self care is available, and I also don't know a way to import or automate the entry of the userid and password for the personal directory. Our staff have had to enter this manually on their handsets.

Hi,

Is your version sip8821.11-0-3-10 ? I'm having dificulties to connect via SSH to the phone to collect logs... Web is working neither...

Greets,

David

David Little
Level 1
Level 1

I'm on CUCM 9.1.2 and 8821 phones on Phone Configuration sip8821.11-0-3SR4-3

Meraki MR-24,MR-26 and MR-42 AP's deployed

We also have users complaining of dropping calls and loosing WiFi connection.  Rebooting is the only way to get it back.

The Address book is also going to be an issue for us as the 7925's were easy.  8821's not.

looking at sip8821.11-0-3SR6-15

Ask Cisco for a refund. 8821 phones are a messy beast. 

We are now on sip8821.11-0-4-14 and we continue to have issues with the phones loosing connection  / dropping calls. 

Cisco really needs to tackle this as I am not hearing any solid successes with these models.

my users are getting very frustrated.

:(

We have a TAC case open, ill let you know if we have any luck. Our phones are registering every three minutes. The 7925g work perfect. I have tried the 8821 on Cisco traditional and Meraki wireless.  

Wow, every 3 minutes. We are on Meraki, MR24,26 and a few 42's. Version 24.11. We want to move to latest but we need to update some glucometers first. fun with compatibility.
I've set the 8821's to 5Ghz and still having issues.
Do you have traffic shaping on the SSID? Too bad you can't include a screen shot in these messages.
Please keep me posted!

Meraki AP, right?  CSCvj44543

Next, read this:  Field Notice: FN - 64274 - CP-8821 Fails in Wireless LAN Infrastructures - Software Upgrade Recommended

Finally, 11.0(4) firmware:  I wouldn't touch this.  I'll stick with 11.0(3)SR6.  

Adam Hinchliff  Any news?

Also you ever see this in the Status Messages?

Device was unregistered when it entered powered off due to the power save plus feature.

Also just heard from Meraki the 802.11r might be an issue. Waiting on them to verify if it is or not and test with me.

@David Little wrote:
Device was unregistered when it entered powered off due to the power save plus feature.

What firmware is the phone running on?  The error message is a known issue, CSCve13663.  Kindly raise a TAC Case.  As of today (28 July 2018), there are 22 known TAC case related to this bug.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: