Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8821 wireless phones

G3261
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

quick question for you guys regarding 8821 phones---We are currently using 7925s and 8821s in our environment. I understand Cisco recommends moving to 5Ghz for 8821s to work better, but for now, we are unable to do so!!!! (darn money again)  8821 phones  has been working  ok but lately, we have been getting lot of calls about 'call drops', 'roaming issues' etc. I noticed  Frequency Band option is configured to do AUTO (instead of 2.4 or 5Ghz). Is that can create issues because we are not using 5Ghz? Is there any harm switching and locking this setting 2.4Ghz instead of AUTO?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

@G3261 wrote:

are these Spectralink actually replacement for 7925s and do they work better with 2.4?

We also have a growing fleet of Spectralink 96 phones.  A few years ago, I did a side-by-side test between the Spectralink 96 and 8821 and I found Spectralink phone was able to detect the SSID a lot faster and were also better in roaming.

Like I said in my first response, the early 8821 firmware had several terrible roaming bugs.  On top of that some firmware can cause the wireless NIC to crash (Example:  CSCvn81608).  And when the wireless NIC of the phone crashes, rebooting the phone is the only way to fix it. 

One of the easiest way to crash the wireless NIC is to go out-of-range (of WiFi coverage).  

View solution in original post

The replacement for the 8821 is the (Spectralink Versity 92/95/96) Cisco-branded Webex Wireless 840/860.

Essentially, they are Android "tablet" in a small/hand-held form factor but calls are done using Webex app.  

Cisco Webex Wireless Phone 840 and 860 Wireless LAN Deployment Guide

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depending on what firmware the 8821, early versions were terrible with roaming and the ability to choose which band to use.  

Cisco will probably start replacing the 8821 with the Cisco-branded (Spectralink) Webex 840/860.  

are these Spectralink actually replacement for 7925s and do they work better with 2.4? Do these work with CUCM?

@G3261 wrote:

are these Spectralink actually replacement for 7925s and do they work better with 2.4?

We also have a growing fleet of Spectralink 96 phones.  A few years ago, I did a side-by-side test between the Spectralink 96 and 8821 and I found Spectralink phone was able to detect the SSID a lot faster and were also better in roaming.

Like I said in my first response, the early 8821 firmware had several terrible roaming bugs.  On top of that some firmware can cause the wireless NIC to crash (Example:  CSCvn81608).  And when the wireless NIC of the phone crashes, rebooting the phone is the only way to fix it. 

One of the easiest way to crash the wireless NIC is to go out-of-range (of WiFi coverage).  

Thank you for the information Leo. It will be impossible to move to 5Ghz for now because of the overall cost and work etc. Cisco should have a solution for customers who are planning or using 2.4Ghz frequency.

@G3261 wrote:

Cisco should have a solution for customers who are planning or using 2.4Ghz frequency.

Industry-wide solution for the question of 2.4 Ghz and Voice application is very simple:  DON'T.  

It is not "Cisco should have a solution for customers who are planning or using 2.4Ghz frequency" but rather understanding the problem is not a manufacturer but the number of available channels in 2.4 Ghz.

Any AP manufacturer will say "do not use 2.4 Ghz in wireless Voice" and there are legitimate reasons for this.  

I noticed EOL announcement for Cisco 8821 wireless phones is in AUG this year. Do you know anything about  what is coming? Our daily struggle with 8821 phone continues. I can't wait to try something else!!!

The replacement for the 8821 is the (Spectralink Versity 92/95/96) Cisco-branded Webex Wireless 840/860.

Essentially, they are Android "tablet" in a small/hand-held form factor but calls are done using Webex app.  

Cisco Webex Wireless Phone 840 and 860 Wireless LAN Deployment Guide

Thank you for the information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: