Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8832 conference phone SIP configuration

Is it possible to configure SIP settings on an 8832 phone?  Right now it works fine in CUCM however I need to use it at a remote office that's not on our network.  Our phone carrier can give me SIP settings however there doesn't appear to be any way of manually configuring them in the phone (sip domain, username, password, etc.).

The phone is running sip8832.12-1-1-23.  Thanks

8 Replies 8

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, only 3PCC versions have a GUI where you can configure all the settings to use it with a 3rd party PBX.

Any phone with enterprise FW requires all the configuration files to be manually formatted as if coming from CUCM, search CSC for plenty of threads on the topic.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi,

Enterprise phones can't properly connect to 3rd party call control and is not supported by TAC, even if someone would manually create a config file. You will be missing essential features like directories, soft keys etc.

Phones for 3rd party call control can be identified by 3PCC in the SKU on the back of the phone (e.g. CP-8851-3PCC-K9=)

There is a method to convert a 3PCC phone to an Enterprise phone or vice-versa. It can be done exactly one time. I did this for two phones in my company when Enterprise 8861 phones were purchased and we needed them to connect to a third-party provider. It wasn't easy, and it is non-reversible, but it's doable.

Hello Maren, thanks for your answer.

Can you  share the steps to  replicate it in my  case ? 

upgrade.cisco.com has all the info, there might be an associated cost for the migration depending on your Cisco licensing.

Otherwise, as I mentioned, there are a lot of posts at CSC that have discussed how to configure phones with enterprise FW for 3rd party PBX you can refer to.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Maren,

Migrations can be done MPP2Ent and Ent2MPP and can be done over and over again. The process is simple if you go to upgrade.cisco.com and follow the instructions. Basically its: generate/request license, upload to upgrade.cisco.com and point phone to this URL (is the tftp setting in the Enterprise phone and the profile rule when coming from the MPP side).

The phone will download a transition load and then “upgrades” to the different load. Reason for this 2 step is that the underlying OS/Security/etc is different.

regards

Jerry de Boer 

Product Manager UCTG / MPP phones

I had read in the documentation that changing from Enterprise to 3PCC could be done only once and you can't, then, go back to Enterprise. Thanks for the info.

Maren

@Jaime Valencia wrote:

No, only 3PCC versions have a GUI where you can configure all the settings to use it with a 3rd party PBX.

Any phone with enterprise FW requires all the configuration files to be manually formatted as if coming from CUCM, search CSC for plenty of threads on the topic.

Hello , if I only want the call functionality for a meeting room, what would be the procedure to register the cp8832nr phone in a third-party server, not cisco

@Jaime Valencia wrote: