Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8851 3PCC loses bluetooth pairing with headset

gedia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I've been having the following issue with firmware versions 11.x.x for Cisco 8851 3PCC IP Phone. I can pair my bluetooth headset just fine with the 8851, but after a few days the pairing is lost, and I'm unable to reconnect. More specifically, these are the steps I've taken to no avail:

• Navigate to the bluetooth menu --> Devices and then highlight the entry for my headset and select "Connect", in order to enforce a manual attempt at re-connecting:
    • After "Connect" is depressed, the labels in the context-sensitive area of the display are cleared, and a single "Cancel" entry is now visible for the last context-sensitive key
    • After a while, the previous labels are restored (namely Option, Scan, Connect), which means that the "Connect" key pressed was registered correctly, but the phone hit some sort of timeout when trying to reconnect with the headset via Bluetooth
  • In another attempt, I deleted the aforementioned entry for my headset from the "Devices" list and then initiated a scan for bluetooth devices to start from scratch. The headset does appear along with other detected bluetooth devices, but after highlighting its entry and selecting "Connect", pairing fails, in a similar fashion as before.

The only solution I have found so far is to reset 8851 phone to factory defaults. In that case, I am able to pair with the headset again, until the issue manifests after a few days. I haven't been able to determine what triggers this, but the last time it happened I was on a call which I disconnected using controls on the phone, not on the headset. Almost immediately after hanging up I heard a disconnect tone through the headset. I'm not sure if this in anyway triggered the issue, but I thought I'd mention it anyway, with reservations.

Needless to say this behaviour is not encountered when using the headset with other devices, e.g. mobile phone and laptop, both of which connect via bluetooth as well.

I also have an issue with the mute function not syncing between phone and headset, but I think I'll start a new thread for that issue.

My headset model is Jabra Evolve 75+ UC. Cisco 8851 is listed as supported by Jabra in their support pages, and Cisco lists several Jabra models as supported as well, although I haven't been able to find such a list specifically for 8851 3PCC.

This is becoming really annoying, can I expect a fix in a future firmware release? I'd be glad to provide any further information if needed. Thank you.

BR,

George

11 Replies 11

gedia
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone?

Can someone from Cisco please investigate whether this is a known issue? I realize support is subject to active TAC subscriptions, but this is clearly a firmware bug and it's very frustrating. Thank you.

Can you get a PRT from the phone when the issue is seen? 

http://<phoneip>/admin/advanced

Info->Debug Info->Generate PRT

Thanks

Hello bijpraka,

I have the PRT file, generated immediately after a failed bluetooth connection attempt. Is there any way of sending this to you privately? I checked the contents and it does include some sensitive information. Thank you.

Best regards,

George

You can send it out to bijpraka@cisco.com

Thanks.

Thanks. Can you please generate another PRT after setting the debug level to DEBUG. The option can be found on Voice->System->Optional Network Configuration->Debug Level->DEBUG

After setting the debug level to DEBUG try to connect the headset and after it fails then generate the PRT.

Thanks. 

Hello again,

I enabled the debug level as per your instructions and rebooted the phone, aiming to clear irrelevant and/or past output in the logs. After the reboot, the headset connected successfully, with no user intervention.

Please note that when I had this problem before, a reboot wouldn't remedy the issue: only a factory reset seemed to work around it.

In any case, I'll wait for the problem to manifest again, and collect the PRT then.

Thank you.

BR,

George

Sure. Whenever you see the issue again, do try to connect the device from the menu and then generate the PRT.

Thanks.

Hello,

The issue manifested again. I have generated a PRT and sent it to you in the e-mail address you provided. Thanks.

BR,

George

Hi,

Was there any particular action performed after which the issue started? Did you do this step again?

"Disconnected call from phone instead of headset?"

Michael_T
Level 1
Level 1

I am having this same issue with a Bose 700 Bluetooth headset, the phone looks to be still connected, but the headset says connection lost. When I unplug the power from the phone and wait 60 seconds and boot back up I can then connect the headset again with no problem and good to go for the reset of the day.  Was there ever any results or solution found as I see this post was back from 2018? Thank you in advance for any help. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: