cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8851 IP Phone > SW Port Configuration?

JimKotsonas4964
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is there a SW Port Config setting on the 8851 phones?

I support another office which uses the 8851. My phone - at my main office - is a 7975,

and on it I can press the "settings" soft key, then "Network Configuration", and scroll down

to the SW Port Configuration entry.

Being at another office, I'm trying to have someone there locate it, but haven't had any luck,

and I can't locate the info on any of the manuals I've found online.

I have one user there who's network connection (we run network internet to the phone, then phone

to computer) is slower than everyone else's, so I wanted to verify that setting, which should be

set to "auto-negotiate"

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8800-series/english/adminguide/P881_BK_C136782F_00_cisco-ip-phone-8800_series.pdf

Configure Network Settings
Procedure
Step 1 Press Applications .
Step 2 To access the Network Settings menu, select Admin settings > Ethernet setup.
Step 3 Set the fields as described in Ethernet Setup Fields, on page 51.
Step 4 After you have set the fields, select Apply and Save.
Step 5 Reboot the phone.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

What is the setting on the switch port?  I assume you have the default of auto set on the switch side. If so what does the switch show you? You can easily see at the switch if there is a problem. Also on the switch if supported you can use a TDR test to determine if you have have a bad cabling connection. Also if you see CRC errors on the port you might have a cabling issue.

If you are worried the user change a setting on the phone just factor reset the phone to clear it.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have access to the switch. I'm in SF and the back end is in NYC.

I'm not trying to update, edit etc.. anything, I'm just trying to find out if there is a

way on the 8851 phone to verify what it's set to, which you can on the 7975.

On the 7975 phone, you can view, and of course, if you know the key sequence, you

can edit the setting. But again, I don't want to edit anything, I just want to verify the

setting.

User is complaining his internet is being throttled. No one else in the office is having issues. Speed

tests run by the user are much slower than speed tests run by other users in the same office.

Just looking into the possibility that his phone is set differently than the rest for some reason.

I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like on my phone (the 7975)

Procedure
Step 2 To access the Network Settings menu, select Admin settings > Ethernet setup.
Step 5 Reboot the phone.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

we need port config from switch 

Config will only tell you show much you need what it is actually negotiating to tell the whole story, but I stand by that you shouldn't ask them to configure anything on the phone.  I typically would try to limit what a user can do on a phone.  Come upgrade time my biggest PITA is people who hard configure ALT TFTPs or DHCP address.  Factory reset the phone because for sure it would have been auto to start with.

Determine what your negotiation on the switch then work backwards from there.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8800-series/english/adminguide/P881_BK_C136782F_00_cisco-ip-phone-8800_series.pdf

Procedure
Step 5 Reboot the phone.

Bingo.  Thanks very much for that reply & info.