cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 88xx upgrade from cm sip to 3pcc sip

jmorrison876
Level 1
Level 1

Recently purchase serveral 8811 and 8841 handsets to register to broadsoft platform. Both model handset came with what believe is the call manager SIP firmware version (sip88xx.10-3-1-20.loads) however when trying to upgrade the handsets to 3PCC (I think more generic) SIP firmware (sip88xx.10-3-1-9-3PCC.loads) the phone rejects the firmware.

My question is it possible to change between the firmware version, specifically with upgrading to the 3PCC from the CM version, If YES, can you post the link to the instructions here please and if NO, how can I get the 3PCC firmware running on the phone?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My question is it possible to change between the firmware version, specifically with upgrading to the 3PCC from the CM version,

Yes, it is possible, however, I'd like to know if the phones are going to be used with non-Cisco call control servers.  If they are, then I'd recommend staying with SIP.  

There are a lot of knowledge base of people who's managed to integrate Cisco phones with non-Cisco call control servers using the SIP firmware.  

3PCC, however, is a different beast so upgrade to 3PCC at your own peril. 

The phones will be registering to a Broadsoft application server.Broadsoft has documented comprehensive interoperability testing with these phones using the 3PCC firmware. Not using the 3PCC firmware  does not mean the phones won't register but that allot functionality  and features offered by the Broadsoft platform will be lost.

I am unable to find any successful  upgrade to the 3PCC firmware so please share if you come across any.

Thanks for the feedback

Getting Cisco phones to work with non-Cisco call control system you need prepare the following: 

1.  Firmware of the phone; 

2.  Configuration file; 

3. TFTP Server to store #1 and #2; and

4. DHCP Option 150

your steps 1-4 are really basic information  required to provision/upgrade any vendor IP Phone with the exception of the cisco option 150- I am not sure you understand the reason of this post.

Thanks for your feedback however.

The configuration file for a Cisco phone dictactes what firmware file is needed for the phone to download.  So, without #2 there is no way to get the phone to load the 3PCC file. 

the *3pcc.loads firmware is set in the configuration file, the phone eventually downloads the firmware however the firmware is always rejected.

doing some further reading the community I realize this is a general restriction where once the phone has the callmanager sip firmware, the phone will not allow upgrading to the 3pcc sip firmware.

thanks for the feedback

ADAM CRISP
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jason,

You can go from 3pcc to Enterprise (the opposite of what you're trying to do)

but not from Enterprise to 3pcc.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8831/3PCC/english/9_3_4/release-notes/8831-3pcc-934-rn.html#pgfId-1111400

I'd send the phones back if you can. The "Multiplatform" phones phones have different part numbers - eg cp-8861-3pcc-k9

Adam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: