Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8945 and others wire configuration

Dear Experts,

My question may not be very rocket science kind....actually after having some connectivity problem b/w phone and switch i tried one thing by cutting the wire connecting switch and fone and i found that only four (4) wires ( ie 1 2 3 6....orange and green pair) was enough for operation of the phones....Can any one plz tell me whats are the 8 wires meant for (which one for data or packet travelling Tx & Rx and which one for Power)

Is the volatge level available at the Gig ports of switches can be increased ....As in my case 2-3 fones are more than 100m away from the switch and i think is the reason that video phones are not working but the 3905 and 6921 are working......what should i do for video phone if i don wanna pur OFC or any other switch.....

@ Jamie Valecia Sir ....ur answer too

Experts Plz help.......Thanks

22 Replies 22

piyujain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1,2, 3 and 6 are for carrying data.. and 4,5,7,8 for power over ethernet..

STANDARDSOURCECOMMENTS

Ethernet RJ-45 connector pin number
IEEE 802.3af
using data pairs

RX

DC+

RX

DC+

TX

DC-

sparespare

TX

DC-

sparespare

Industry Standard for Embedded POE

(used by Cisco Catalyst Switches)

IEEE 802.3af
using spare pairs
RXRXTXDC+DC+TXDC-DC-Industry Standard for Embedded POE
Cisco
(old standard)
RXRXTXDC-DC-TXDC+DC+Older Cisco Products (polarity is reversed)
Cisco
(new standard)
RXRXTXDC+DC+TXDC-DC-IEEE Compliant

Cisco 8945 is a class 2 POE device. which means it consumes 7W.

You can manually define how much power you want to assign to a port using below command:

This example shows how to set the PoE consumption to 5000 milliwatts for  Fast Ethernet interface 4/1 regardless what is mandated by the 802.3af  class of the discovered device, or by any CDP packet received from the  powered device:

Switch# configure terminal 

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

Switch(config)# interface fastethernet 4/1 

Switch(config-if)# power inline consumption 5000

Switch(config-if)# end

If the length of the wire is more than 100 m then it could be the cause of
your video phone not working.

Go through these documents:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/troubleshooting/g_power_over_ethernet.html#wp1000872

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/25ew/configuration/guide/PoE.html

Cheers !!

Piyush

Dear Piyush....

Thank for ur awesome doc......i read few others docs also and came to knw tat for fastethernet port TDR test will show result for two pair and for gig port it will show result for all four pairs ...... wat i did today tat connected a cisco 8945 using only 2 pair (1 2 3 6) and it worked......and as wat i knw my switch is a gig port device and phone too

(i think so)......so hw did it worked on 2 pairs .....it sud have necessarily asked for all 4 pairs.....

PLZ answer SIR

Hi Nitesh,

What is the switch model u are using on which phones are connected and did u run tdr test on switch?

If yes, can u share the results.

regds,

aman

Dear Aman...

Its cisco 2960.......i don have the issue with the reult....i wanna knw if im running tdr test on gig port....does it matter that end device is wat type a gig device or FE device.........Cisco 8945 , 6921 etc are gig device or FE device....all 4 pairs are needed..........

Hi Nitesh,

the reason why I asked u for switch model and test tdr since I was referring the DOC which says

Except the WS-C2960-48PDL, when using the copper GigabitEthernet port of the

Catalyst 2960, one must manually set the interface to copper using the command “media rj”

before the test can be conducted.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-18983.pdf

If the results on pairs are normal, then video should work.

regds,

aman

Thanx Aman..........canu u tell me if a phone is more than 100m away from switch .....hw can we drive it without putting other switch of ofc.....ne idea?

Hi Nitesh,

what is the firmware u are using for 8945 ? just to cross-check why Video is not working.

Have u connected VT Camera on 6921 for video?

regds,

aman

Aman video is not a problem Cisco 8945 is a video fone n other two 6921 r 3905 are non-video ...hence i guess they run at tat more than 100m but as 8945 requires more power its not registering

Hi Nitesh,

You have these options:

a. as suggested by Mr. Piyush, try configuring the command power inline consumption 7000

b. if u have PWR-CUBE-3 , try connecting to 8945 just to islolate the power problem.

Did u run show power inline and debug inline powerman ?

regds,

aman

Dear Aman....yeah u r rite power cube 3 will work ....

i have already seen the power inline and the port power is in auto max (30W) means the device will decide how much power to be taken from switch....or sud i define any other thing.....

Hi Nitesh,

I just wanted to see if power is a real problem or distance.That is the reason I wanted u to connect Power CUBE if  u have.

Also, u can try connecting the 8945 phone to any switch in network where the distance is less than 100 meters , just to troubleshoot.

What is the CUCM version u are using and 8945 phone version?

If all above steps are taken and do not get any success , try changing firmware on one of the 8945 phone.

regds,

aman

Dear Aman phone has not a problem a sit works directly on the switch...wat i feel the distance is the problem...tell me one things....

* will it work if instead of auto(3000mW) i  increase the power level consumption at that specified port. . and waats the command for that

Hi Nitesh,

try configuring the command on switch port power inline consumption 7000  and check?

regds,

aman

Dear Aman...

today i checked and found through the tdr test that the cable is 123m .....if i set it to 7000mW how it will run its a class 3 power device ? should i give more

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: