cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8945 Remote Phones

limbadiya
Level 1
Level 1

so we have shipped 4 phones (8945) to overseas with vpn configuration on them, (CUCM 11 and ASA Anyconnect)

Now out of 4, 2 phones don't have VPN option, other two are working fine. I have seen this before where sometime phone doesn't save the vpn config for some reason. 

anyhow getting those two phones back is not an option. is there any other way i can connect them and push the configuration ? I tried natting public ip to cucm but that doesn't work. even with all ports open.

Tried phone proxy too, but look like it's not supported anymore on CUCM 11. 

I don't have site to site vpn option. any idea ?

6 Replies 6

Natting won't work. Because the config file in tftp server with have cucm real IP. You might reach the tftp server on public (using dhcp option 150 or alternate tftp) but cucm IP in config file will be private.

Now depending on what device you have on remote site, the easiest way is to establish site to site vpn between remote and asa. then you will be able to reach cucm on private IP.

If the remote device isn't capable of IPSec site to site vpn, try to build temp cucm server with demo license (60 days). Assign direct public IP on the cucm server and allow internet access to the cucm public IP. This way you will overcome natting problem and phones should be reaching temp cucm. Then you get any connect working on the phone and point it to original cucm cluster.

I don't see other way of doing this.

thanks for the info, so i went with temp cucm with public ip directly. but phones are not registering to it, I have tested with ip communicator, it works fine, but 8945 is not registering, even auto registration is enabled too, tried to add the phone manually but not registering. 

Delete ITL File from 8945 phone and check if it registers

did that too, but it says ctl and itl are not installed. 

under status it says failed to install itl

On the phone can you try reset all settings. Also, can you share the status logs from the phone. It should list of activities are taking place and where its failing.

we have tried that, under status message, downloading itl file, failed to install itl file, updating mac address, failed to download config from tftp