cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ATA 187 doesn't ring analog device

hankej
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco ATA187 configured.  At my desk I have a analog phone connected to it and I can call the extension an the analog device will ring just fine.  I take the ATA to a different part of the building on different switches and everything and plug in the Analog phone and it doesn't ring at all.  I also have a 7945 configured with the same number, so I can see the call coming to the extension.  While the phone and ATA are ringing, I can pick up the handset on the analog phone and answer the call.  Just no ringing.  My ultimate goal is to hook the the ATA to a bell ringer.  I am using the same phone cable and everything is the same except for being on a different part of the network.

Any ideas on why I can plug the ATA in at my desk and the analog phone works fine, but when I move it do a different location, which is using a different switch, the analog phone doesn't make any kind of ringing tone, but I can answer the call normally?

Very confused.

Thanks

12 Replies 12

Jorge Armijo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

-Is the ATA registered to CUCM or CME? What version?

-If you move the ATA to a different place, does it register? If you pick up the analog phone handset, can you hear dial tone?

Please describe a little bit better the whole scenario.

--

Jorge Armijo

-- Jorge Armijo Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

This can be disregarded.  I ended up using an ATA 186 and everything appears to be workign fine.  I didn't feel like troubleshooting the issue any more.

Thanks

Hello,

Sorry to ressurect such an old question but I have the same issue and I cannot seem to start a public discussion, the 187 works 100% fine but the Analog device does not ring. I am on CUCM and the device is registered. I can call to and from it fine and calls are working 100% but just no ring tone.

Any ideas?

hi Chris,

Have you tried upgrading your ATA firmware?

How many analog devices do not ring?

Is the issue seen for internal or external calls?

Regards,

Karthik

Hi Karthik,

I have not upgraded the FW but it is a new device. here are the current details:

Boot Load ID

SW_Version ID

187.9-2-1-0

I only have 1 analog device plugged in at the moment and it doesn't ring for internal or external incoming calls. The second port is not registered yet as I am using the device to test an idea so only need port 1. I had another ATA that I bought in the same batch a few months ago and this one seemed to work straigt out of the box. I have copied the config of the device in CM in the hope that it would work. Unfortunately I don't have the exact handset that was used. I am using a BT converse 125 and am not 100% sure what pins need to be connected although it appears as though 2&3 are the ones.

Do you think this firmware is out of date?

This is what I get from the ATA logs: (it repeats every 5 seconds or so)

2013/01/31 08:56:06:086   File Not Found : CTLSEPD814A4CAA501.tlv 

2013/01/31 08:56:06:091   No CTL installed 

2013/01/31 08:56:06:094   IP phone is in non-secure mode 

2013/01/31 08:56:06:447   Succeed to get XMLDefault.cnf.xml 

Hi Chris

Are you in the UK? If so, the attached may be useful. This document specifically covers FXS ports on Cisco gateways, however I have seen the same issue from time to time on ATAs as well.

A telephone approved for the United Kingdom might fail to ring when connected to a Cisco FXS port. The failure results from a physical interoperability issue and is independent of Cisco hardware or software. British Telecom did not implement RJ-11 type connectors when it adopted plug-and-socket connection methodology. RJ-11 connectors allow parallel connectivity for the transmission path and the ringer circuit. They were not used because older telephones needed to have their ringer circuits connected in series due to a requirement for high current.

Outside the United Kingdom, ringer circuitry is self-contained in each phone. The U.K. implementation puts the capacitor, which provides the AC ring path, and the antitinkle feature (prevents the bell or ringer from sounding when pulse dialing is used) externally in the first socket, connected to the local loop.

In the United Kingdom, certain British Approval Board for Telecommunications (BABT) telephones fail to ring when they are connected to FXS ports on Cisco voice-enabled routers and switches. Outgoing calls can be made and voice communication in both directions can be established. However, incoming calls do not ring the telephone. These telephones functioned correctly before they were connected to the FXS ports.

Because a proprietary connection system is implemented, you must use an adapter to connect the telephone to an FXS port. The adapter must be a master that contains the capacitor, or the telephone fails to ring.

For a schematic and more information, refer to Understanding Why Telephones in the United Kingdom Connected to Cisco FXS Interfaces May Fail to Ring, document ID 25800.

HTH.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

Hi Barry,

I think you have hit the nail on the head there! Yes I am in the UK. I will try and plumb a master connection in and will feed back. It may take me a few days to feed back but I this makes sense.

Regards

Chris

No problems Chris

Let me know how you get on.

Barry Hesk

That was perfect, thanks Barry! I found a few master sockets lying around from our old PBX system and have tested fine!

Thanks again,

Chris

No worries Chris. Think I may take the rest of the week off as things can't get any better than this!

Barry Hesk

Hi, you must contain a capacitor. Change Device Setting "Impedance"  to 370ohms + (620 ohms || 310nF). That means you simulate also a capacitor with 310 nano farat.

Change it and it works!

HTH, please rate all useful posts and right answers.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: