Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ATA on IP phone network

hesschristian
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm looking to see what possibilities I have for adding a few analog phones to my IP phone network. The phone network comes into an Avaya IP PBX, that also has FXS(?) cards for several analog lines, but I need to know what to look for to see if the ATA 186/187 will work. Do I just need to make sure the two utilize the same IP telephony protocol? The option recommended by my sales guy was an IP gateway for analog phones, where I would need to use analog lines coming into the PBX, but I would like to avoid that if possible. The reason I don't want to run separate analog lines is because the IP phone network at our plant goes into an underground mine. Separate analog lines would be several miles of phone line. Thanks for the help.

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So, are you looking to integrate Avaya with Cisco?

Connecting ATA to Avaya FXS lines is not going to do that as ATA is FXS as well.  If the integration needs to be analog, you will need to get FXO card which gets inserted into Cisco voice GW (i.e. ISR2 router). You will also need PVDMs (DSPs)

Chris

I want to connect the ATA on the network used by the IP phones/IP PBX. What would be the difference between something like an ATA 187 or 186 and a ISR2 router with an FXO card? I just want to add 1 or 2 analog extension at 4 locations in my IP phone network. Thanks.

OK, what does Avaya have to do with this?

What phone sytem are you using?

Chris

The PBX is an Avaya G650, and our IP phones are Avaya as well. The Cisco ATA is what I'd like to investigate using, because we have used them at our plant site for two analog phones in a ATA to ATA configuration on a different network. I just don't know how they would work out in an ATA to IP PBX configuration.

I am not sure if ATAs are compatible with Avaya, you should probably check with Avaya support.

Sorry.

HTH,

Chris

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Christian,

This may be relevant

http://forum.iaug.org/showthread.php?t=23374

Cheers!

Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: