cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CM 11.5 - RTMT plugin and Java software license questions

brian.koomen
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know if the end users/companies of CISCO software are covered when downloading/installing Java on their computers.

Since Oracle stopped giving Java away for free (unless personal or development use) you need to purchase a license.

I was told I needed to install java on my computer by CISCO TAC in order to get the RTMT plugin to install.

So the questions is am I covered by existing CISCO licenses for downloading and installing Java from Oracle's website?  If so, where is the documentation to back it up?

If not what is CISCO's stance on this issue and what is being done to resolve it?

8 Replies 8

Ritesh Desai
Spotlight
Spotlight

@brian.koomen 

Hi below is the snippet from the letter received from Cisco to its partners. The snippet speaks specifically for Cisco Contact Center. To give you information, I am sharing the snippet with you which talks about JAVA going forward.

You need to once again check with your Cisco Partner on existing versions and parallel wait for rest of support members to suggest you more.

java.jpg

*** Please rate helpful post. Please mark as answer if it solves your problem/query.
regards, Ritesh Desai

CISCO partner is pretty much useless when it comes to these types of inquiries...

Can I find this statement also somewhere on cisco.com
So customer can verify it by themself that it he is allowed to install Java to use RTMT?

brian.koomen
Level 1
Level 1

If somebody reply with the answer, I would be SHOCKED!!!   I wonder if this is purposely done for some reason.  Also the version that is covered is also clear as mud...

@Ritesh Desai response is somewhat helpful, but for "real" documentation purposes, that is not going to work.  Especially in a courtroom.    Just saying...... 

Since the JAVA license model has gone to a per seat license, I question how this licensing model applies in this case.

Can I install JAVA on all the computers in our company?  If ever audited, can I used "we are not in violation of JAVA licensing" cuz we have CISCO equipment/software? 

jpittinger1
Level 1
Level 1

It would appear that the information here is not very accurate since no one has confirmed what the JAVA requirements are with a true Cisco branded endorsement. If anyone has a real answer with a Cisco branded endorsement that would be much appreciated.  

Just a FYI 

I have contacted Cisco via Webex teams and TAC and the following 2 responses I got with regards to the Java needed for RTMT:

For RTMT you just need java "runtime" which is not a full java license. Just need to make sure you are using the correct JRE for that supported application version. Also with UCM, Unity, etc. you can also move to use what we called Cloud connected-UC and then there is Web RTMT available in the cloud which is cleaner and easier. Here is a page about Webex Cloud connected-UC https://salesconnect.cisco.com/c/r/salesconnect/index.html#/program/PAGE-16868

From TAC:

The current Unified RTMT requires JRE to run. Please verify that the system has JRE installed (Java 1.8) for CUCM 12.5 and 14

X12.5 -

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/service/12_5_1/rtmt/cucm_b_cisco-unified-rtmt-administration-1251/cucm_b_cisco-unified-rtmt-administration-1251_chapter_010.html

X14 -

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/service/14SU2/rtmt/cucm_b_cisco-unified-rtmt-administration-14Su2/cucm_b_cisco-unified-rtmt-administration-1251su2_chapter_010.html?bookSearch=true

HermanusJansevanVuuren_0-1680136048428.png

Best Regards

Per what we have tested you should be able to use Zulu JRE v8 to run both RTMT and CCX editor. It's just a matter of selecting the correct Java JRE to be used at the time of setup of RTMT or CCX editor.

Response Signature

jpittinger1
Level 1
Level 1

All in all- we still need to know if Cisco is providing anything of substance regarding their terms of agreement for licensed products requiring the Java Run time. In addition: the most serious concern with using a Java open version or something that is off branded would be the security update and control factors as well as reliability; - I assume that anything Cisco sells and licenses prior to EOL that requires Java will be tested for vulnerabilities till the EOS or EOL.  However, Cisco needs to be clear in this Licensing matter so we can stay above board in all aspects of the Java component in the Cisco third party aspect.  Is this so hard for Cisco to shed light on?  SHOW me the Terms of Service and software agreements stating straightforward what the Java requirement is when using the Cisco software that requires it. 

Oracle Java SE License

Third-Party Technology The Programs may contain or require the use of third party technology that is provided with the Programs. Oracle may provide certain notices to You in Program Documentation, readmes or notice files in connection with such third party technology. Third party technology will be licensed to You either under the terms of this Agreement or, if specified in the Program Documentation, readmes or notice files, under Separate Terms. Your rights to use Separately Licensed Third Party Technology under Separate Terms are not restricted in any way by this Agreement. However, for clarity, notwithstanding the existence of a notice, third party technology that is not Separately Licensed Third Party Technology shall be deemed part of the Programs and is licensed to You under the terms of this Agreement.