cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Communicator right-to-use license required ?

master001
Level 2
Level 2

Hello all,

I try to deploy soft phones for the remote users.   Just wonder : 

Is the application(CIPC) right-to-use license required for the end user to purchase? 

The CIPC will consume 3 DLU licenses for one soft phone.   Do we need to pay around US$50 for the application(CIPC) only?   

I don't have much information about the right-to-use license.   If anyone could shed some light, it will be great. 

Software Version: CUCM8.6 + CIPC8.6

Thanks in advance!

Master001

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

The CIPC RTU (right to use) license is honor based, which means it isn't required to actually install/run CIPC but it is needed to be in legal compliance should you ever be audited.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I try to understand " ...RTU(right to use) license is honor based".  "... legal compliance..." 

Does it mean it is mandatory to have CIPC RTU?  Or just nice to have?  

Because the CIPC would consume 3 DLU license, people could ask why we need to purchase the RTU license again.   Please kindly advise.

Master001

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi "M",

Why don't we look at it this way; if you install a 7945 you have to buy the phone and it still uses x number of DLU's so the RTU license for IPC is like buying the 7945 except for you don't get a physical phone (same idea). So if you install IPC without the RTU license it's like using "Pirated" software.....will it work yes/maybe .....is it legal ....NO.

Cheers!

Rob