Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Phone 7960 in 3CX

Trevor Janssen
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone, 

I am in a bit of a dilemma, I am currently trying to configure my new Cisco IP Phone 7960. When I try adding it to the 3CX Phone System Management and I am unable to get the phone provisioned due to my server unable to make the file for the phone. If you need more information please contact me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

unable to get it to ring when I call it.

I'm going to be frank with you on this, I'm not familiar with 3CX product.  I'm more on Asterisk/FreePBX. 

I'll give this a guess but what Call Group is the phone in?

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

3CX doesn't create the phone configuration for the phone.  

For non-Cisco callmanager, like CX, you need to create the phone configuration file and upload the configuration to the phone using DHCP Option 150.

I am using Windows Server as the DHCP server and I don't see DHCP Option 150. How would I create the configuration for the IP Phone?

Defining DHCP option 150 for Cisco IP phones

My question is this:  Do you have the phone configuration file for a 7960 ready?  What about the other associate files?

I have the files from 3CX's website for the support files... this is the first time setting up VoIP.

I have the files from 3CX's website for the support files...

Let s just say I'm an eejit.  What files are they?

http://downloads.3cx.com/downloads/misc/legacy-phones/cisco-79xx.zip

That is a link to the files for 3CX

Some of the files are useful.  Others are not. 

Here are some more files you'll need (HERE).

Well I managed to get it configured from the IP phone but I am now unable to get it to ring when I call it.

unable to get it to ring when I call it.

I'm going to be frank with you on this, I'm not familiar with 3CX product.  I'm more on Asterisk/FreePBX. 

I'll give this a guess but what Call Group is the phone in?

It wasn't in a call group but I managed to get it to work... I needed to assign a did number to it

Happy to see it finally works, Trevor.

Don't stop at 7940/7960.  They are very easy to configure.  It's the 7970, 79X5 that are a b1tch to configure but have better functionality.

I will take your word that the 7970 and the 79X5 are a b1tch to configure, but I want to test my DID number, can you call 7026236028 please

I forgot to mention that aside from the better functionality, once the configuration of the 7970 & 79X5 is "perfected" the configuration can become a template for other Cisco phone models (other than 7940/7960).

I am now facing a new problem, I am trying to add a ring tone called Batman.raw but it doesn't seem to want to add the ring tone to the ring type menu in settings.