Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
D7 Beginner
Beginner

Cisco IP phone 8832 Factory reset

Hi I have Cisco 8832 phone that got wrong CPP loaded that i need to factory reset, because after image update it wont boot up and it is stuck saying "connecting" on screen, i can still get from this screen to admin menu

reson i mention that it has wrong CPP loaded is because i dont know local phone unlock password for this profile, so i cant do reset through administrative menu, and i cant apply different profile because phone is now not connecting

i also tried reseting to factory settings using keypad

Step 1    Unplug the phone: 
Step 2    Wait 5 seconds. 
Step 3    Press and hold #, and plug the phone back in. 
Step 4    When the phone boots up, the LED strip lights up. When the LED turns off, press 123456789*0# in sequence. 

but this did not do anything, i did not see any indicator that phone was factory reset, it still has same image, and default administrator password does not work

i tried for default password cisco and Cisco, no luck with either

any ideas what else i can try to get this device reset to factory settings

22 REPLIES
Rising star

Re: Cisco IP phone 8832 Factory reset

Hi there

Please try unlocking the  "Local Phone Unlock Password" at (DeviceDevice Settings > Common Phone Profile).

By default, the administrator password settings are locked to prevent users from making changes that could impact their network connectivity. You must unlock the administrator password settings before you can configure them.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

D7 Beginner
Beginner

Hi

thank you for response

but this wont work in my case, i am aware where in CM is that password set, but at this point my phone doesnt even connect to network, on phone screen it is stuck in connecting stage, so i have to do hard factory reset, but recommended reset by keypad doesnt work, so i was wondering is there any other way to do it

Rising star

Hi there

In this case your factory reset is not working for you. You are doing it right, thats the method outlined in the admin guide and thats the same for most of the Cisco Phones.

But just curious, are you seeing the the LED strip lights up and make sure you are pressing 123456789*0# in sequence. Out of sequence make no effect.

Reset the Conference Phone to Factory Defaults from the Keypad

When you reset the phone from the keypad, the phone reverts to the factory settings.

Procedure
Step 1   Unplug the phone:
  • If using PoE, unplug the LAN cable.
  • If using the power adapter, unplug the adapter.
Step 2   Wait 5 seconds.
Step 3   Press and hold #, and plug the phone back in.
Step 4   When the phone boots up, the LED strip lights up. When the LED turns off, press 123456789*0# in sequence.

After you press these buttons, the phone goes through the factory reset process.

If you press the buttons out of sequence, the phone powers on normally.

Caution   

Do not power down the phone until it completes the factory reset process, and the main screen appears.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

D7 Beginner
Beginner

Hi

thanks for response again

i do see LED strip light up and then when it goes off i enter 123456789*0# in sequense of course, but after that looks like it just goes to normal boot

Rising star

Hi there

Is this a 8831 or 8832 ? Are you using 3PCC multiplatform phone firmware ?

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

D7 Beginner
Beginner

it is 8832

Rising star

Hi there

I dont think 8832 have multi platform. Below are the 8800 series shipped with multi platform. So I assume the phone was working fine and the upgrade to sip8832.12-0-1-12 made the phone "not registering"

Table 5.       Ordering Information

Part #

Product Description

CP-8811-3PCC-K9=

Cisco IP Phone 8811 shipped with multiplatform phone firmware

CP-8831-3PCC-K9=

Cisco IP Phone 8831 shipped with multiplatform phone firmware (Available in Canada and USA only)

CP-8841-3PCC-K9=

Cisco IP Phone 8841 shipped with multiplatform phone firmware

CP-8851-3PCC-K9=

Cisco IP Phone 8851 shipped with multiplatform phone firmware

CP-8861-3PCC-K9=

Cisco IP Phone 8861 shipped with multiplatform phone firmware

CP-BEKEM-3PCC=

Cisco IP Key Expansion Module for multiplatform phones

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

D7 Beginner
Beginner

Yes you are right it is not 3pcc, it is in connecting state, it doesn't even connect to network to get to registering

Rising star

Hi there

Please check this bug - When 8832 phones downgrade from 12-0-1SR3-1 to 12-0-1-12 phone does not boot CSCvj33740. I suggest you to open up a TAC.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

Thanks for sharing the bug information. I think we also got hit by this bug. Configured a new 8832, and it got stuck after it downloaded firmware from CUCM and went through the reboot. I see that initial active load was 12-0-1SR2-2, but CUCM had 12-0-1-12. Now phone is stuck in "connecting" state. It does not get an IP address. Switch port does not even see a MAC address. We waited 6 weeks to get this phone, and now it is a brick. Wasted a lot of time troubleshooting on the switch side!

Rising star

Yup ! Your best bet is to open a TAC and get it fixed

Hope this helps

Cheers
Rath!

Beginner

Same Issue TAC gave me this

1.      Disconnect power from the phone

2.      Hold the * key while connecting the power to the 8832.

3.      After the LED bar light turns ON green and then OFF, you can release the * key

4.      The 8832 should proceed to boot from the image in the alternate partition

Also, Make sure you download and install the latest 8832 firmware version from Cisco.

Yes, that worked.
Rising star

Great to know that.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rath!

CreatePlease to create content
Ask the Expert- MPLS troubleshooting