Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Phone displaying 30sec delayed time

Anthony Vinod
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

*I have less than 100 Phones connected to Call Manager which is displaying 30 sec delayed time

*Phone NTP Reference and Date and time group is pointed to my Voice Gateway Router where it was already configured as NTP Master

*I checked the "sh clock" in router and "utils ntp status" and "Phone time" on Cisco Phone, all the 3 factors are matching but with delayed 30sec time

*Then my client asked me to point CUCM NTP to actual NTP server which is kept in Data center, but one of my friend told it would create license issue if I change the IP in CUCM

*Hence now I made changes in Voice Gateway Router with "ntp server <IP of NTP server>. after this changes now Router, CUCM shows perfect timing but phone still showing 30sec delayed time

*I tried resetting and restarting one IP Phone but still it is showing 30sec delayed timing

My question is, do I need to restart tftp service or any other service with which it will reflect on the IP Phones, If yes, will it impact ongoing calls or any other services. I donot want client impact on this.

8 Replies 8

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Anthony,

What is the exact cucm version ad platform ( MCS/UCS)? Not all versions need license rehost if you change the NTP addr. You can do a 'utils ntp restart' on all servers followed by a reset of the phones and see if that helps.

Manish

Thanks Manish, CUCM is 10.5, I am not sure about UCS version

I just have 1 correction which I found recently that all the Phones are registered to Subscriber

I checked Subscriber OS Admin > Ntp server List showed pub host name with Ntp server not accessible status

I did utils ntp restart on Subscriber and later when I did "sh ntp status" it showed unsyncronized

I also observed the stratum value which shows 15 for Pub and 16 for Sub under "sh ntp status". does it have anything to do with this and if it does, is the value 15 advisable(because I read  somewhere who said it should be between 3 -9)? and, where does Pub,Sub take the Stratum value from, GW or Actual NTP server, because "sh ntp status" on GW shows the same value

attaching the image file

Hi Anthony,

Stratum level should be less than 4 on publisher for optimal performance

16 is a invalid stratum value that means "this server is not considered a time provider". The stratum can be invalid for various reasons, the most common of which is that the "time provider not synchronized", the "configured source does not exist", or the "ntp server not running".

Please troubleshoot as per the following

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/118718-technote-cucm-00.html

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Thanks Manish, I have informed client to make changes in NTP server stratum value as suggested by the document, lets hope :)

Thanks for your help

Sure, do update the post on how it goes.

Manish

actually Manish, now client is using Windows based NTP client 3.1.4, and client is not sure how to make changes. so I am in search of that now

HARIS_HUSSAIN
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dear Anthony,

Please restart tftp server on all nodes [ No need of downtime you can restart in production].

Check if cucm NTP is synched utils NTP Status 

Then reset Phones

And finally Please rate and mark correct if applicable <<<<<

Thanks

haris

Thanks Haris, I have not yet restarted tftp services but ntp on subscriber is not synced after "ntp server restart"

I have attached the files on Manish Gognas reply, could you please refer that if required.