Views
Helpful
Replies

CIsco IP phones are not upgrading new firmware version

Yenosh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have recently started upgrading cisco phones to v14, but number of phones are still using older version. Seems phones are not taking firmware from device defaults.

1) We tried to reset the phones manually, did not work.

2) I have assigned phone load name on device and it was upgraded to new firm ware version.

As more than 1000 phones are having issue, it is difficult do it manually each and every phone.  Please have a look and help.

Best regards,

yenosh

10 Replies 10

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you read the firmware documentation to understand if your current FW can upgrade directly or if you need a middle step?

Have you made sure that the FW is available in the TFTP(s) where the phones point to?

What does the phone logs say?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi

Firmware is available at TFTP server, what logs do I need to look. TFTP logs?

Jaime is referring to the log that the phone itself generates internally. If you enable the Web Access for one of the phones (and reset it), you can go to http://<ip_of_phone> and look at the phone log to see what it has been doing.

You may also be able to pull the trace file of the TFTP service via RTMT to see what the TFTP process is hearing from the phone. That may have limited value, though, and it would be better to start with the log from the phone itself.

Maren

OK Maren, 

I will look into the and let you know what i can see.

Since the phone upgrade works when manually configuring load name on the device, Check if the device default has the new firmware load mentioned. Then restart the phones. 

You haven't mentioned the phone models which got effected.. Some old phone may need an  upgrade  to intermediate versions before upgrading to the latest versions.. 

Response Signature

I have the phone models 7821,7832,7841 and 8841, 8851,8811 and 8861.

Load name mentioned correctly in device defaults, restarted the phones still no luck

Apart from the advice given by others, did you install the firmware on all nodes in your cluster?

It could be of help if you outline the model of phone(s) and the version you where on and the version you want to be at.

As you said it works when you set the load on the device itself I would also advise you to verify that the load string in device defaults is set correctly. That’s somewhat of a long shot, but it can’t hurt to check it out.

Response Signature

Hi 

When I enter the phone load name on device, I am just copying it from the device defaults only.

Phone are  using :sip78xx.12-7-1-0001-393

Update to :sip78xx.14-0-1-0201-169

Yenosh
Level 1
Level 1

Phone reset is working other phone models except 7841 model.

Phone are  using :sip78xx.12-7-1-0001-393

Update to :sip78xx.14-0-1-0201-169

do we need to upgrade to intermediate version first.

ogencheva
Level 1
Level 1

I have a similar problem. We received a new batch of 8851 phones with pre-installed sip88xx.14-0-1-0101-145 firmware. Some of the  phones will not boot to sip88xx.12-8-1-0001-455. Phones are PID VID: CP-8851-K9 V17 and have a label "SW must be 12.6 or later label" (12-8-1-0001-455 is later). Looking at the phone logs it says that firmware download is completed and then it presents with error=3, which is TIMER_EXPIRED. I have a TAC case opened and was told to upload sip88xx.14-0-1-0101-145 firmware to the TFTP server + restart, which was done. It did not help. Some of the phones eventually went to 12-8-1-0001-455 after three weeks being on the network. I am thinking that something must be to do with V17 and "SW must be 12.6 or later” label. Maybe they got a new chip or something. There is nothing in 14-0-1 firmware documentation about upgrade limitations.