Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IPphones & Data vlan & Dot1X

Yannick Vranckx
Level 2
Level 2

Dear,

I have a discussion ongoing with a co-worker about the Cisco Phone operation in the mac address table. He says he sees the mac address appearing with a data vlan tag and also re-appearing. The phone has both the data vlan tag & voice vlan tag on it's mac.

To me this seems like normal operation as alot of phones are equipped with a second port to feed network to a workstation, hence the data vlan.

But he says that some phones just quickly come into the data vlan & then dissapear again, this behaviaiour i never payed any attention to but it could mean that there is just no computer attached.

This was because we are going to perform a dot1x project and my co-worker fears that having the cisco phone also in the data vlan & voice vlan that this will cause issues.

Does anyone have some experience to share on this matter

Kind Regards,

1 Reply 1

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

It happens quite often. What you see is usually that the phone sends something on the data VLAN before it flips over into the voice VLAN as directed by CDP and the voice vlan command on the port.

If you are using MAC/port security it's common to allow an additional MAC per port to cover for this.

If it causes you issues with auth, try upgrading the the latest handset firmware for a start.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!