cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IPTel Solution On Non Cisco Based LAN

Jacob Berger
Level 2
Level 2

we are thinking of choosing a cisco IPTel solution = CUCM +  Unity Connection + CU Presence + Cisco IP Phones

are there an adavantages of such a solution being setup on a Cisco LAN? or will say a Juniper LAN do just as well?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

Hi

I dont think using Juniper LAN will have any negative impact.  But Cisco LAN will give you more easier QOS option etc.

reagrds

Ronak patel

Rate Helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

View solution in original post

The other key on is VLANs; you need to ensure that your telephony devices end up in a dedicated voice VLAN (or VLANs) if it is a large deployment. Again, Cisco support this easily with the "switchport voice vlan xxx" command; other vendors provide similar capabilities using Dot1Q tagging. You need to ensure if you are running Dot1Q into a phone you only send the data and voice VLANs (and not all of the VLANs that are defined on the script) to avoid the phone getting overloaded.

POE again should just work, as all currently shipping Cisco phones support standard IEEE 802.3 af.

HTH

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

Hi

I dont think using Juniper LAN will have any negative impact.  But Cisco LAN will give you more easier QOS option etc.

reagrds

Ronak patel

Rate Helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

when you say easier i understand that such settings are configurable on other LANS, just easier to config on Cisco LAN.

correct?

Hi Jacob

Correct; on a Cisco LAN you can use "auto qos" built into Cisco switches to automatically recognise and configure QoS when Cisco telephony devices are plugged in.

However, QoS is reasonably standard across vendors, and there's no reason why if it's properly configured a Juniper LAN shouldn't work fine. I've deployed Cisco telephony over non Cisco networks (most commonly HP) and as long as it's configured correctly it works just fine. It does take longer to configure, but works none the less.

HTH.

Barry Hesk

Thanks

Are there any other features besides QOS that will need attending to?

The other key on is VLANs; you need to ensure that your telephony devices end up in a dedicated voice VLAN (or VLANs) if it is a large deployment. Again, Cisco support this easily with the "switchport voice vlan xxx" command; other vendors provide similar capabilities using Dot1Q tagging. You need to ensure if you are running Dot1Q into a phone you only send the data and voice VLANs (and not all of the VLANs that are defined on the script) to avoid the phone getting overloaded.

POE again should just work, as all currently shipping Cisco phones support standard IEEE 802.3 af.

HTH

Barry Hesk

Hi Berry,

We are starting to install Cisco IP Tel solution in our company, and we have HP switches. so I wonder if you can share some of the HP swicthes sample configs related to QoS and voice VLAN's. If you can please email to aelsherbiny@gmail.com. Thanks