cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber Audio Issues

BoBo1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for some help with an issue that has come up.

Some VPN users that are using Cisco Jabber to answer calls are reporting that they are either unable to hear the person on the other end of the call, or that person can't hear them speaking.

I called one of the users and they could hear me, but I couldn't hear them. The weird thing is that I was talking to them via Microsoft Teams chat at the same time, and I could hear the audio ding of my message being received. I also had them play a Youtube video and I could hear the video loud and clear. I thought I could also hear typing on a keyboard, but it is difficult to say for sure I did. It's like Jabber is passing me the computer audio, and not the headset. 

They all report that the headset and that works perfectly fine via Microsoft teams for meetings and what not, but the issues with CIsco Jabber calls.

Any ideas for settings to check?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We have successfully solved this issue.

We checked all the routing on the switches and that, and it all checked out fine.

The problem ended up being access control lists within Cisco ISE - The ACL that was applied to the phones wouldn't allow traffic to go to the network the PC's are on.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

TomMar1
Level 3
Level 3

1 make sure they are not using Jabber via remote audio.  I have found that running Jabber on a PC that you are RDP'd to and using the headset on your local PC causes sporadic audio issues.  In other words Jabber must be running on the same PC the headset is connected to, not in an RDP session.  As far as I can tell remote audio and Jabber do not work consistently.

2 ensure that the Jabber audio is configured correctly for microphone and speaker

3 ensure that the PC audio setting are not muted or volume is down

4 ensure that Jabber has the appropriate microphone privacy settings on the PC and is allowed

5 make sure the headset is set under PC sound settings as the default communications device

6 make sure that the output and input PC sound settings are for the correct device (headset)

I have found #1 to be the most common issue

Someone posted this site https://freeola.com/line-test/ as a way to test home Internet connection for latency, jitter and packet loss.  They will probably need to test without VPN as allowing inbound pings are required for a result.

I've checked all of those, and they seem good.

The issue is only occurring on internal devices, and is always the same after more testing.

If someone on an internal device makes a call via jabber, and that call is answer on a desk phone, the person calling from Jabber can't hear the desk phone, but the desk phone person can hear the person calling from Jabber.

Jabber to Jabber calls appear to be fine.

So it never works?   Are the phones and the Jabber clients are on different networks (my guess is they are)?  Are you sure that UDP traffic is allowed in both directions between those networks? 

Yes the devices are on separate networks.

Well the traffic from the desk phone is not getting to the computer. I ran wire shark and can only see the computer sending RTP traffic.

So the issue likely is the phone network isn't routing the RTP traffic correctly, and/or blocking it. Where do I confirm this is happening or not though?

You should speak to your internal networking team and explain the situation.

We have successfully solved this issue.

We checked all the routing on the switches and that, and it all checked out fine.

The problem ended up being access control lists within Cisco ISE - The ACL that was applied to the phones wouldn't allow traffic to go to the network the PC's are on.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: