cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber for Windows without Presence Server

krhashbarger
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to get Cisco Jabber for Windows to work without a Presence Server and without a WebEx Server. Just with Cisco Unified Communication Manager 8.6  and Cisco Unity Connection, same Version?       

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

barry
Level 7
Level 7

No. You either need CUPS or Webex. It won't work without it.

Sorry

Barry Hesk
Intrinsic Network Solutions

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

View solution in original post

4rmorris
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe not timely, but if you just want a soft client on the PC that can do video, and you don't need IM and Presence, you can configure Jabber in Phone-only mode.  I'm doing this with CUCM 9.1.1:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12511/products_tech_note09186a0080c170ee.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_2/JABW_BK_C9731738_00_jabber-windows-install-config_chapter_0101.html#JABW_TK_TF78988A_00

The documentation from Cisco on this is a little weak.  Just set up a CSF device in CUCM, make your user ID the Owner ID, make the device a controlled device in your End User screen and install Jabber for Windows using the command line parameters shown in the links above (PRODUCT_MODE=Phone_Mode and TFTP=X.X.X.X).

You can still use the Jabber-config.xml file to do some automation so users don't have to enter their voicemail info.  This works well in our scenario, as we have no plans to implement IM and Presence right now outside of our Lotus Sametime implementation.

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

barry
Level 7
Level 7

No. You either need CUPS or Webex. It won't work without it.

Sorry

Barry Hesk
Intrinsic Network Solutions

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Thank you.

...but a CUCM upgrade to 9.x would negate the requirement of a CUPS server right?  This is more of a clarification for me so sorry for the sort of thread hijack.

No, if you use CUCM 9, then you need a matching IM&P server on same release, for J4W to work.

That, or Webex, as previously mentioned.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Strange.  I've recently been told by 2 different Cisco AM's that the IM&P functionality of CUPS was rolled into CUCM 9 and that Cisco Jabber would work natively with CUCM 9.  Guess that's what I get for believing salesmen.

Most of the configuration has been moved to CUCM, and it depends which version of Jabber you're talking about and what functionality you need, but for J4W, IM&P is a MUST.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Hey Jaime,

is somewhere a overview wich features are moved to CUCM?

On which funcionality i don't need a IM&P?

For softphone mode with J4W is a IM&P still MUST (CUCM V9.1?)

Regards

Paul

No features have been moved, just the configuration now it's done in CUCM.

IM&P still does the same things as CUPS, the only thing, is that you now don't configure them on that side of the house, but in CUCM.

Yes, CUCM and IM&P are a MUST, just as they have been since J4W was released for ANY functionality on that client.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Thank you very much for the very quick and helpful response!

Full Rating... :-)

4rmorris
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe not timely, but if you just want a soft client on the PC that can do video, and you don't need IM and Presence, you can configure Jabber in Phone-only mode.  I'm doing this with CUCM 9.1.1:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12511/products_tech_note09186a0080c170ee.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_2/JABW_BK_C9731738_00_jabber-windows-install-config_chapter_0101.html#JABW_TK_TF78988A_00

The documentation from Cisco on this is a little weak.  Just set up a CSF device in CUCM, make your user ID the Owner ID, make the device a controlled device in your End User screen and install Jabber for Windows using the command line parameters shown in the links above (PRODUCT_MODE=Phone_Mode and TFTP=X.X.X.X).

You can still use the Jabber-config.xml file to do some automation so users don't have to enter their voicemail info.  This works well in our scenario, as we have no plans to implement IM and Presence right now outside of our Lotus Sametime implementation.

This is very useful, thanks for the info! And what about LDAP, is it necessary? I was able to login from J4W but I can't do anything else (like calling another DN or URI). Also, CUCM is not able to recognize if Jabber is registered, at least according to Device -> Phone (Status: None, IPv4 Address: None)

LDAP is used for directory lookups.  The login/authentication is via CUCM.  I'm surprised it will open and not show you anything, unless there is no CSF device associated with your userID.

Can you provide a screenshot?  I believe the CSF device only shows as registered if it is selected as the active device in Jabber.  If you select desk phone control it doesn't show as a registered device.

The device selector is in the bottom right corner:

j4w_phone_select.png

I originally tested this feature in my lab with CUCM10 and J4W 9.6 but then decided to fallback to CUCM 9.1.1 and J4W 9.2.4. Result is the same so obviously I'm missing some basics This is screenshot of my jabber (I don't have a clue how @cisco.com domain shows after jabber name):

j4w.jpg

As you can see, I'm able to login but something is wrong, i.e. I can't make any calls. Here is how it looks on CUCM side:

cucm_phones.jpg

I'm using CIPC here just to be sure my lab environment is working fine and hopefully to call it from the jabber, one day

And this is detailed config of the end user (you can't see part where "Standard CCM  End Users" group is added but it is there):

end_user.jpg

Finally, CSF device config:

jabber_device_info.jpg

jabber_protocol_spec_info.jpg

Notice that Standad SIP Profile for CSF differs from Standard SIP Profile only in one check box (Use Fully Qualified Domain Name in SIP Requests).

Thanks for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: