cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber for Windows without Presence Server

krhashbarger
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to get Cisco Jabber for Windows to work without a Presence Server and without a WebEx Server. Just with Cisco Unified Communication Manager 8.6  and Cisco Unity Connection, same Version?       

31 Replies 31

Name resolution like that is because your LDAP integration is wrong, try hard coding it in the .xml

You need to enable the user for IM&P, and assign a valid IM&P/CTI UC service.

Make sure all user/device/line associations are in place.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for your help but I don't think I follow you. 4rmorris confirmed he is using jabber without presence server, i.e. only with CUCM but you still telling me to "enable the user for IM&P and assing a valid IM&P/CTI UC service"? Isn't that completely opposite from what is described in Phone-only mode web link mentioned above?

Your end user has no Service Profile configured.  Even though you're in Phone Mode, you still need a Service Profile configured so Jabber can find it's devices using the CCMCIP service.  There are instructions in the docs I posted on setting up the required Service Profiles.  Below is my setup under User Management -> User Settings -> Service Profile.  If you want phone control, you also need to add a UC Service for CTI and add it at the bottom of this screen (not shown).

jabber_test.png

Let us know if that helps!

R.

Thanks for quick reply! So I created Service Profile, first empty one (not even a voicemail as I don't have one), then tried with fake voicemail, applied it to the jabber user, even added "Standard CTI Enable" group (even if I don't have a physical phone) but nothing changed, i.e. my J4W still don't want to register, only authenticate

Is it possible that I need jabber-config.xml file with something in it? Or it can't work as softphone, only with the physical phone? Do you populate all three fields in Connection Settings or just the first one (you mentioned something about CCMCIP service and I'm not sure what it means)?

jabber_connection_settings.jpg

If you don't fill in the CTI and CCMCIP servers I think it just uses the TFTP server IP for those.  I'm certain you need CCMCIP services running on the server it's going to talk to. 

In my initial tests, I did not have a customised jabber-config.xml file.  It just opened with the defaults.  So that shouldn't be it.  Hard to tell from the information showing what the error is.  You could look in the log file (URL below is for Windows 7):

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Logs

Maybe that will tell you something.

R.

Can this mode work if you also want to use jabber on mobile devices? That CUCM v10 only and no IM & P.

Client has Sync and not looking to have IM & P. But they also have expressway C and E, with an old TB profile 52 C40. They want jabber to conference into the C40 from anywhere using the Expressway-E.

Hi there,

As of Jabber for iOS and Android v10.5, which released on Sept. 15th, you can now use phone only mode on mobile devices.  I'm not sure if it will register in phone only mode via the VCS-E, you might need a VPN connection on the mobile device so it can get back to CUCM to register.

R.

Thanks 4Morris. appreciated. In that case, I will propose we go the VPN route with anyconnect clients on mobiles. Do we still the Expressway-C in this case for adhoc video con to the C40 or can CUCM 10 handle this now?

Val

Hi Val,

It depends where your C40 is registered.  If it's registered to the Expressway-C then you need a SIP trunk between CUCM and Expressway-C and dial plan in both to route the calls.  If it's registered to CUCM directly, the CUCM dial plan will manage the call, and no additional configuration is required (beyond aligning audio and video codecs, etc, so everything functions as expected).

Best of luck with your solution!

Ryan

It is working now! Thanks again for you help, seems like problem was in DNS/AD server. 

BTW, is URI dialing supported in Phone Mode, i.e. is it working in your environment? I tried to enable it using jabber-config.xml file and EnableSIPURIDialing parameter but with no success.

I'm pretty sure URI dialing is supported.  We don't have it configured yet though so I can't confirm for you just now.  Glad to hear you got logged in ok.  Best of luck with your testing.  I'd like to hear how you do with URI dialing.

Ryan

I try to use jabber as softphone only with CUCM
but can't do it
did I still need IM & Presence  server ??

I only Need Jabber user to make Phone Calls without any need to Presence services

Hi,

You can use Jabber in Phone only mode , it does not require presence server. Check the deployment guide for your Jabber version for details.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Yes I do it

I configure it and can login on cucm and can dial other IP Communicator softphones from it and other Phones , every thing is fine now

Thanks for you all

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: