cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Messaging Interface @ cucm 5.1.2

admin
Level 1
Level 1

Should this service be activated on publisher and/or subscriber if I am not using Cisco Unity and other voice-mail system?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cisco Messaging Interface is only used for CallManager to interact with Legacy VoiceMail system. Also, this should not be enabled when using Cisco Unity, as it can cause a port conflict. If you dont have any messaging system, you should disable the service instead of using additional system processing and memory for a service which should not be running

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Anton,

Cisco Messaging Interface Service

The Cisco Messaging Interface allows you to connect a simplified message desk interface (SMDI)-compliant external **Third Party** voice-mail system with the Cisco CallManager. The CMI service provides the communication between the voice-mail system and Cisco CallManager. The SMDI defines a way for a phone system to provide a voice-mail system with the information needed to intelligently process incoming calls.

Genrally the Cisco Messaging Interface (CMI) is a Cisco CallManager service that should be run only on the publisher server. This service intercepts calls destined for voicemail and generates appropriate SMDI messages, which are then delivered to one of the server's Component Object Model (COM) ports.

But can be setup this way,

Cisco Messaging Interface Redundancy

Most voice-messaging systems that rely on an EIA/TIA-232 serial cable (previously known as a RS-232 cable) to communicate with phone systems only have one serial port. You can achieve Cisco Messaging Interface redundancy by running two or more copies of the Cisco Messaging Interface service on different servers in a Cisco CallManager cluster and using additional hardware including a data splitter that is described later in this section.

Each copy of Cisco Messaging Interface connects to a primary and backup Cisco CallManager and registers to the Cisco CallManager by using the same VoiceMailDn and VoiceMailPartition service parameter values. The Cisco Messaging Interface with the higher service priority (the active Cisco Messaging Interface service) handles the SMDI responsibilities. If this Cisco Messaging Interface encounters problems, another one can take over.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008037e2f3.html#wp1024396

Hope this helps!

Rob

I can read documentation.

I need the exact and clever answer:

If I have neither Cisco Unity nor any other voice mail, should i activate this service on my pub/sub?

Cisco Messaging Interface is only used for CallManager to interact with Legacy VoiceMail system. Also, this should not be enabled when using Cisco Unity, as it can cause a port conflict. If you dont have any messaging system, you should disable the service instead of using additional system processing and memory for a service which should not be running

Thanx a lot!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Anton,

I am sure you can read documentation and I was only trying to help you out :) Please note this sentence from my post.

The Cisco Messaging Interface allows you to connect a simplified message desk interface (SMDI)-compliant external **Third Party** voice-mail system with the Cisco CallManager.

Sorry that did not do the trick for you!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: