cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco OS upgrade 2003.1.5

tuck74055
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am trying to upgrade my cisco OS 2000.4.3a to version 2003.1.5 and get this  error: "this upgrade cannot be run on this server. the minimum os  version that supports this upgrade is 2003.1.1". I don't understand thsi error as I am upgrading to a version higher than the miniumim 2003.1.1.

I am trying to upgrade from cucm 4.0(2a) to cucm 4.3(2). Thanks.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

The issue is that you will need to get to 2003.1.1 *before* you can go to 2003.1.5.

You will need to check to see if you can go directly from 2000.4.3a to 2003.1.1, or whether you will need further staged upgrades.

HTH. Barry

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Tuck,

Is this requirement (OS upgrade and migration to 4.2(3)) part of your migration plan

you were working on yesterday?

The reason I ask is that you don't need to go to a 4.3(x) CUCM version to obtain

the DMA files you require. You would be better served to move to something like 4.1(3)

or 4.2(3) to accomodate this

The first step (if you have to go to 4.3(2)) is to move to OS 2003.1.1 then you can get to

Here's a clip for the first step;

Cisco requires that you use the operating system installation DVD to install the operating system version 2003.1.1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/4_3_1/faq.html#wp1039367

Cheers!

Rob

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tuck,

Like Tommer nicely noted in the previous thread ....this is a very complex process

and not one to jump into without doing your "due diligence"

First things first, it sounds like you have decided to move to CCM 4.2(3) as your initial step

so let's look at that process first. Here is the proper upgrade guide;

Upgrading Cisco Unified CallManager Release 4.2(3)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/4_2_3/upgrfrom.html#wp1058277

You are only moving to 4.2(3) so that you can create the DMA files. These files will then be

used when you go to do your CUCM 7.1(5) build. The DMA (Data Migration Assistant) files will

allow you to move your data from the Windows 4.x build to the new Linux 7.x build. BARS cannot

help with this process. Here is the requisite info for DMA;

Data Migration Assistant User Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/dma/7_1_2/dmaug712.html

The DMA process is a KEY part of the overall plan and it usually takes a few runs with

some TAC assistance to clear all the related errors before the proper DMA .tar is created

and ready to use as you move forward.

It's very, very important to go slowly through each step of this migration. The 4.0(2) to 4.2(3)

upgrade needs to be looked at as an individual project, then the DMA, then 4.2(3) to 7.1(5)

etc. You see what I mean. There are many areas along the way that can trip you up significantly

with disastrous results. So patience will be a key here.

When you are ready, this file should work for your first step;

Release4.2(3)
Filenameciscocm-ffu.4-2-3.exe
Release Date 30/Aug/2006
Description Cisco Unified CallManager 4.2(3) Maintenance Upgrade
Size723445.1845703125                                                                                                KB (740807869 bytes)
Router Checksum0x44d5
MD5ef3ab6ea1a1fd3b58b9c56f16cb5b276

I don't want to scare you off with my "doom and gloom" warnings, but once you get further into this

you'll see what I mean. Please take your time and read all the release notes, Readme's etc.

Cheers!

Rob

23 Replies 23

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

The issue is that you will need to get to 2003.1.1 *before* you can go to 2003.1.5.

You will need to check to see if you can go directly from 2000.4.3a to 2003.1.1, or whether you will need further staged upgrades.

HTH. Barry

Ok, well the download page only has down to 2003.1.5 and no 2003.1.1 however, I will see if I can go from 200.4.3a to something else that can go directly to 2003.1.5 since I have that download. Thanks!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Tuck,

Is this requirement (OS upgrade and migration to 4.2(3)) part of your migration plan

you were working on yesterday?

The reason I ask is that you don't need to go to a 4.3(x) CUCM version to obtain

the DMA files you require. You would be better served to move to something like 4.1(3)

or 4.2(3) to accomodate this

The first step (if you have to go to 4.3(2)) is to move to OS 2003.1.1 then you can get to

Here's a clip for the first step;

Cisco requires that you use the operating system installation DVD to install the operating system version 2003.1.1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/4_3_1/faq.html#wp1039367

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Rob. Yes, it is . I was hoping to jump from 4.0(2a) to 4.3(2) to 7.1.5 to 8.6, 3 upgrades instead of 4. What would you recommened my path be? Thanks.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Barry,

You trumped my horrible typing skills with you good answer my friend +5 points

for your great work.

Cheers!

Rob

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tuck,

I like your plan, but I would just substitute 4.1(3) or 4.2(3) for 4.3(2). This will be far cleaner

as you will still be using a OS 2000.4.x and not have to move to Windows server 2003 at all.

You only want the DMA tarball from this first step so may as well keep it as simple as possible

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp287966

Cheers!

Rob

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! Thank you Rob.

One question, you mention I only need the DMA tarball from this step, what do you mean by that, I have my BARS backup...

where the heck are the base downloads, all that I se are the 4.2(XX) and SRX no 4.2.3 base.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tuck,

Like Tommer nicely noted in the previous thread ....this is a very complex process

and not one to jump into without doing your "due diligence"

First things first, it sounds like you have decided to move to CCM 4.2(3) as your initial step

so let's look at that process first. Here is the proper upgrade guide;

Upgrading Cisco Unified CallManager Release 4.2(3)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/4_2_3/upgrfrom.html#wp1058277

You are only moving to 4.2(3) so that you can create the DMA files. These files will then be

used when you go to do your CUCM 7.1(5) build. The DMA (Data Migration Assistant) files will

allow you to move your data from the Windows 4.x build to the new Linux 7.x build. BARS cannot

help with this process. Here is the requisite info for DMA;

Data Migration Assistant User Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/dma/7_1_2/dmaug712.html

The DMA process is a KEY part of the overall plan and it usually takes a few runs with

some TAC assistance to clear all the related errors before the proper DMA .tar is created

and ready to use as you move forward.

It's very, very important to go slowly through each step of this migration. The 4.0(2) to 4.2(3)

upgrade needs to be looked at as an individual project, then the DMA, then 4.2(3) to 7.1(5)

etc. You see what I mean. There are many areas along the way that can trip you up significantly

with disastrous results. So patience will be a key here.

When you are ready, this file should work for your first step;

Release4.2(3)
Filenameciscocm-ffu.4-2-3.exe
Release Date 30/Aug/2006
Description Cisco Unified CallManager 4.2(3) Maintenance Upgrade
Size723445.1845703125                                                                                                KB (740807869 bytes)
Router Checksum0x44d5
MD5ef3ab6ea1a1fd3b58b9c56f16cb5b276

I don't want to scare you off with my "doom and gloom" warnings, but once you get further into this

you'll see what I mean. Please take your time and read all the release notes, Readme's etc.

Cheers!

Rob

Thank you very much Rob! I actually saw that file but didn't reliaze it was a base as the "Maintenance" label through me off, lol

I totally understand the severity and complexity of this endeavour. Thats why I am doing this now and not on cutover weekend

Again, thank you VERY much for your help.

Hey Tuck,

You are most welcome my friend! Best of luck with this upgrade!

Make sure to leave plenty of time ahead of your final cutover for

attaining your new Licenses and you should be good to go

Cheers!

Rob

Hey Rob, are you still there. I have another question. As you know I am at 4.2.3 and am getting ready to run the DMA 7.1.5 to back up my publisher. Since I know that I will use the DMA on the new hardware and for 7.1.5 I racked the new publisher server and fired it up but I am starring at a CUCM 6.1.4.2000-2 pre-configuration screen. So, it appears my new hardware already has 6.1.4 loaded onto it. Does this sound correct, will I now need to go back and change my upgrade path(s) from 4.2.3 to 6.1.4 to 7.1.5? And if so perhaps I should change my upgrade path because the 7.1.5 download can't be used with 6.1.4 without calling Cisco per this:

UCSInstall_UCOS_7.1.5.10000-12.sgn.iso_part1of2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Service Contract Required
Release Date: 19/APR/2010
7.1(5)  part 1 of 2 (non-bootable) - For upgrade from 7(x). Upgrades from  5.1(3x)/6.1(3x)/6.1(4x)/6.1(5x) need to be requested via PUT  (www.cisco.com/upgrade) or purchased to obtain necessary license.
Size: 1737247.00 KB (1778940928 bytes)

Any thoughts?

Hey Tuck,

If your server came with 6.1(4) pre-loaded it was probably ordered at least 6 months

ago, but that's not the end of the world here

We need to remember the most important part of the upgrade path is to move you off

the "End of Life" 4.x CCM builds and onto a newer supported CUCM build. If we have to go through

6.1(4) to get there it should still be fine. The good thing is that you have already managed to move

to 4.2(3).....so that is an excellent first step!

One thing we didn't talk about previously was the fact that you will need the CUCM bootable/build

DVD's at some point along the line here. And that you will always have to work with Cisco to acquire the proper Licenses for each of the "mainline" versions (6.x, 7.x, 8.x).

So, with your pre-loaded 6.x server did you also receive the DVD's and PAK for Licensing?

If so, then 6.1(4) would be a reasonable next step. If not, then you will need to work with Cisco

either directly via your SE, a Partner or PUT (product upgrade tool) to secure the DVD's and

pay for the proper licenses that will enable the Software feature License for your new version.

If you went with 6.1(4) as a next step you would be able to skip the 7.x versions and go directly

to 8.5(1) so that works as well!

Export Restricted Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Upgrades for Release 8.x

8.5(1)

Direct upgrade:

8.0(3a)SU2, 8.0(3a)SU1, 8.0(3a), 8.0(3), 8.0(2c)SU1, 8.0(2c), 8.0(2b), 8.0(2a), 8.0(2), 8.0(1),
7.1(5b)SU3(restricted), 7.1(5b)SU2(restricted), 7.1(5b)(restricted), 7.1(5a)(restricted), 7.1(5)SU1a(restricted), 7.1(5)SU1(restricted), 7.1(5)(restricted), 7.1(3b)SU2, 7.1(3b)SU1, 7.1(3b), 7.1(3a)SU1a, 7.1(3a)SU1, 7.1(3a), 7.1(3), 6.1(5)SU3, 6.1(5)SU2, 6.1(5)SU1, 6.1(5), 6.1(4a)SU2, 6.1(4a), 6.1(4)SU1, 6.1(4)

One thing to keep in mind is that the DMA version that you use will have to match the CUCM

version you are migrating to. So if you decide to go with 6.1(4) you will need to scrap any DMA

work you have done so far related to 7.1(x)

Cheers!

Rob

Rob, thank you. I do have the DVDs and as well as the PAK...as far as PAK, I think. I have a PAK for

Product: CM6.1U4-K9-UPG=   and Description: SW Upgrade CM 4.1/4.2 to 6.1 for SASU or UCSS, is this the correct PAK I need because other than PAK's for other software it is the only one I have as far as CUCM is concerned? If I need to contact Cisco I will. On this same note, since I am upgrading this on the VM while the actual phone system is runnign in production, do I go ahead and enter in my licensing information now during the upgrade or will that effect my production license?