cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco OS upgrade 2003.1.5

tuck74055
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am trying to upgrade my cisco OS 2000.4.3a to version 2003.1.5 and get this  error: "this upgrade cannot be run on this server. the minimum os  version that supports this upgrade is 2003.1.1". I don't understand thsi error as I am upgrading to a version higher than the miniumim 2003.1.1.

I am trying to upgrade from cucm 4.0(2a) to cucm 4.3(2). Thanks.

23 Replies 23

Hi Tuck,

Yes, that PAK is the correct one for acquiring the 6.1 Software feature License. The Phones and Node licenses will come through the DMA process.

But, you've kind of lost me on the whole VM thing?? Where did this creep into the picture?

Did you upgrade your existing 4.0(2) build to 4.2(3)? Or are you running it on VM?

Ultimately, all the licenses will need to be tied to the "Final" Publisher MAC so when you go through the licensing process with Cisco you will be referencing the MAC of your new Publisher server.

If you can explain a little about what boxes you are using for what, we can

be more specific with the details.

Cheers!

Rob

Sorry Rob, this post describes it

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3401703#3401703

yes, I am running the upgrade parallel with my production phone system so as to not "mess" up our current production phone system. My plan is to mimic the current system in the VM (which I have done) with BARS then upgrade on over to the new hardware and cucm version at which point make the cutover and replace the "old" with the "new". Sorry for the confusion.

Hello again all, I now have CUCM 6.1.4 installed and licensed on the new linux server (publisher). DMA import was a success and I still have our current callmanager 4.0 still running in production. Now I am kinda stuck on what to do next...should I go ahead and upgrade on up to 8.6 at this point on my publisher or get my CUCM 6.1.4 installed and running on our other new linux server (subscriber)? Keep in mind that when we cutover, I will need to change the IP adress and the gateway of my new cucm linux server to that of my current 4.0 server and will plug the new server into the vlan port that the current server is plugged into. Other questions, at which point should I upgrade the phones firmware and can I start thinking about installing or upgrading 8.6 on the inactive partition on the new server(s)? Thank you.

Hi Tuck,

Great work so far my friend!

If it were me I would go ahead and build the 6.1(4) Sub.

Get it up and running with the Replication checks etc.

You don't want to leave a large gap in time between upgrading to 8.6

and doing the "Switch-Version" to make it the active partition.

So whenever the 6.1(4) has been properly vetted go ahead

and start down the 8.6 path. There will be Licensing that needs to be

obtained on 8.6 with VM so you will need sufficient time to get that in order.

Customer Impact from New Licensing Procedures

Cisco Unified Communications Manager on Virtualized Servers uses a different licensing model than Cisco Unified Communications Manager on an MCS server. The MAC address of the NIC card is no longer used to associate the license to the server.

Instead, the license gets associated to a license MAC, which is a 12 digit HEX value created by hashing the following parameters that you configure on the server:

Time zone

NTP server 1 (or "none")

NIC speed (or "auto")

Hostname

IP Address (or "dhcp")

IP Mask (or "dhcp")

Gateway Address (or "dhcp")

Primary DNS (or "dhcp")

SMTP server (or "none")

Certificate Information (Organization, Unit, Location, State, Country)

The ways to obtain the license MAC are as follows:

Before installation, use the Answer File Generator (http://www.cisco.com/web/cuc_afg/index.html). When you generate the answer file, you also get the license MAC.

Note If you use this method, ensure that you enter the identical parameter values in the Answer File Generator and the Cisco Unified Communications Manager installation program, or the license will be invalid.

After installation, navigate to Show > System in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.

After installation, use the CLI command show status.

Obtaining New Licenses

The process to redeem a Product Activation Key (PAK) for licenses at www.cisco.com/go/license is changed for a license MAC. When redeeming a PAK for a license MAC at this URL, you get prompted to select the type of license that you want to obtain:

A physical MAC address — this is used when Cisco Unified Communications Manager will be installed on an MCS server.

A license MAC address — this is used when Cisco Unified Communications Manager will be installed on Cisco Unified Communications Manager on Virtualized Servers.

After you make this selection, the generation and installation of the license file follows the same process.

Obtaining Rehosted Licenses When You Change License MAC Parameters

When you change any of the parameters that create the license MAC, the license that you obtained with it becomes invalid. You must request a rehosting of the license to obtain a valid license. The old license continues to work for a 30-day grace period.

To rehost your licenses, you must open a case with the licensing team to obtain a license for your replacement server. Contact the licensing team at licensing@cisco.com.

During the grace period, you can change the settings back to the licensed values to make your original license valid again. If you need more than 30 days of grace period, change your settings back to the licensed values, then change them back to the new values that you want to use. You will get another 30- day grace period.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/virtual/servers.html#wp86411

As for the phone Firmware...once you have determined the

version(s) that 8.6 has set as Device Defaults then you can

start down that road as well. We had about 3,000 phones

that needed Firmware upgrades prior to moving to 7.x

and we did run into some issues with them so don't leave

this part of the migration till the last minute

Cheers!

Rob

THanks Rob! THese new servers are MCS Servers, not virtual. THe only thing for me that was virtual was upgrading to 4.2.3 from 4.0 and then grabbed the DMA off of the 4.2.3 and installed 6.1.4 with DMA on the MCS server. This is all parrell to my production phone system running 4.0 on old MCS servers. So, right now I have our production phone system running callmanager 4.0 on old MCS servers. On the side, I have 6.1.4 running on new MCS servers. Sorry for the confusion. Now that I'm up to 6.1.4 on the new linux MCS servers I longer need or have any virtual cucm/callmangers. So this is what I have:

1 windows based mcs publisher server running callmanager 4.0 (in production)

1 windows based mcs subscriber server running callmanager 4.0 (in production)

1 linux based mcs publisher server running cucm 6.1.4 (not on phone system vlan)

1 linux based mcs server that I have yet to setup 6.1.4 subscriber on

1 windows based msc unity server 4.0 (in production)

1 new mcs server for unity that I have yet to setup

400 7970 phones with 4.0 firmware

Hey Tuck,

Well ...my bad!

The fact that you have already moved over to the MCS box for the Pub

is even better (one less step )

I still feel like building the new Sub would be your best "next step" b4

moving onward. Once you have the 6.1(4) build up & running I would

go forward with your 8.5 upgrade. The same advice applies;

1. determine the new 7970 Device defaults (Firmware) from your 8.5 (1) build.

2. reply back with your actual 4.0 7970 Firmware so we can devise a plan

3. load new Firmware(s) on the 4.0 boxes

4. test a couple of phones for new Firmware upgrade process

5. once Firmware plan is vetted open maintenance window to upgrade phones

6. determine when to change the 8.5 IP addressing

Changing the IP Address and Host Name for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 8.5(1)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_5_1/ipchange/ipchg851.html

Cheers!

Rob

Rob, thank you.

Just to clarify, when I bring up and configure the new subscriber I will need to go ahead and give it a "dummy" IP address and gateway just like I did with the publisher until the cutover at which point I will give both the "new" publisher and subscriber the IP address and gateways that the "old" pub and sub are currently using once I plug the new servers into the vlan ports that the old servers are currently plugged into, correct? (just as a side note so you know. when I installed 6.1.4 on the new server I renamed the publisher to our current naming scheme and it asked if I wanted to "map" this name to the old servername and so I agreed).

As for the "current" 7970 Phone Firmware we are using:

Load Information: TERM70.7-0-2SR1S

Device Pool: Default

Phone Templates: Standard 7970

Just one other upgrade question, since we have 6.1.4 up on the new servers, should we just go ahead and use 6.1.4 as our cucm version, do the cutover with this cucm version and upgrade to 8.5(1) later once we know that everything is working fine on the 6.1.4? Just a curious thought....

Hi Tuck,

For question 1....we built our new baxes in an isolated lab network

with the "exact" same IP's and Hostnames so I'm not a great resource

here. I would open a new thread for this.

For question 2 ....the fact that you are @ 7.0.2 Firmware means

extra time will be required. I'm guessing that 6.1(4)

runs cmterm-7970_7971-sccp.8-4-4.cop.sgn **please verify**

**If you are currently running firmware 6.0(2) to 7.0(2) on a Cisco Unified

IP Phone and want to upgrade to 8.x(x), you can do so directly.

However, expect the upgrade to take twice as long as usual.**

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/firmware/8_4_4/english/release/notes/79xx_844.html#wp102331

Now onto your final "loaded" question

If it were me I would probably stop at 6.1(4) with the latest SR

like you nicely noted. Let things simmer out and start a completely

new plan to move forward. We run 7.1(3b)su2 and have not moved to 8.x

yet.

Cheers!

Rob

Ok, thank you Rob. Your giving me some ideas for a plan of attack. I  would almost rather cutover to 6.1.4 instead of going the distance to  8.x just because

a) I'm already there

b) there are less steps to revert back to if needed

c) I can upgrade to 8.x on the inactive partition while running 6.1 later

d) phone firmware from 4 to 8 as opposed to phone firmware from 4 to 6.

Ok, phone firmware on the 6.1.4 is:

Protocol: SCCP

Load Information: SCCP70.8-4-4S

Device Pool: Default

Phone Templates: Standard 7970 SCCP

Protocol: SIP

Load Information: SIP70.8-4-4S

Device Pool: 040411 Fix

Phone Templates: Standard 7970 SIP