cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unified Call Manager 8.6 with IP Phone 9971

ranawaqqas_
Level 1
Level 1

Is CIsco Unified Call Manager 8.6 able to work with 9971 IP Phone.? I am tried to add IP Phone 9971 with Call manager 8.6 using Manual and Auto Mode, Phone was registered with call manager but when i saw information of phone on Phone display. There mention Last update failed. How can i Update phone and How can i configure IP Phone with Cisco Call manager Properly ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

What exactly is the problem with the phone? The "update failed" message can occur because the firmware on the system is too old for the phone - but it shouldn't stop the phone working.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

What exactly is the problem with the phone? The "update failed" message can occur because the firmware on the system is too old for the phone - but it shouldn't stop the phone working.

GTG

Thanks for Quick Repsposne Gordon Ross

you are right Phones are working, How can i Update Firmware Gorden ?
Can i use external USB for video calling ?
Because When i connected USB cable with USB port of 9971 IP Phone then show message on IP Dispaly " Microsoft camera detected but Disable by Administrator  "  How can i Enable this Option ?

The latest phone firmware is on Ciscos web site (But you'll need some form of support contract to get it, I believe.)

According to

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/9971_9951_8961/9_0/english/user_guide/P567_BK_869D0657_00_userguide-8961-9951-9971_chapter_0110.html#P567_RF_P3AD2230_00

you can't use third-party cameras with the 99xx phones.

GTG

Thanks Again Gordon

when i checked status of my IP Phone then i received theses messages

Status Message Display Window

• Update Reject: HW Compat failure. Must use 9.3(2) or later release on this phone.
  • VPN Error: VPN is not configured
  • SEP189C3 C3.cnf.xml.sgn(HTTP)

How cansolve these error ?

When i tried to download 9.X or 10.X received " service contract required"
How can i solve this issue also ?

If you're trying to download 10.x, it sounds like you're trying to download CallManager, rather than the device firmware. The latest firmware for the 9971 is 9.4(1)

To get the device firmware, go Dowloads -> Products -> Collaboration Endpoints -> IP Phones -> Cisco Unified IP Phone 9900 Series - > 9971 -> SIP Software

Direct link:

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282749264&flowid=46245&softwareid=282074288&release=9.4%281%29&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

You can ignore those other two errors. They're not really errors, just notices.

GTG

Thanks again Gordon,

I try to upgrade firmware using this method because i have one system is using as  CUCM 8.6 and TFTP server. Now i have latest firmware of 9971 IP Phone, How can i upgrade firmware ?   

I downloaded 9.4(1) using this link

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282749264&flowid=46245&softwareid=282074288&release=9.4(1)&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

How can i upgrade IP Phone Now ? i have these new Firmware files. i tried to Upgrade but not Successed. I send you screenshot of that error that i received using upgrade  

This is my recent version

Hi Waqas,

it seems the file which u have downloaded is corrupt.after u download the file, verify the checksum .it should be 1e8f68d89e07238355e0608d3ffbf357.

the same can done by downloading FastSum utility from google.com

Unzip the files and upload all of them one by one.there is no need of copying them on DVD.You can use transfer protocol SFTP by using freeftpd software and upload them on servers.Use  directory as /

retstart the tftp service after uplaoded successfully.

regds,

aman

Thanks Aman,

I tried to do same method that you wrote but not successeded. i download an other file from cisco Website   cmterm-9971.9-4-1-9.cop.sgn  37.5 MB and upload using this method

File Successfully Upload.            

after  Log in to Cisco Unified Serviceability web page.

Under the Tools menu, select Control Center - Feature Services.

Select the Cisco Tftp service, and click the Restart button.

when i go

Under the Device menu, select Device Settings > Device Defaults.

Firmware not upgrade.

How can i upgrade Firmware of Cisco IP Phone 9971 ?

Second thing, Can we upgrade Firmware using USB Drive ?

Amen i forget to buy Cisco camera, Now When i plug Microsoft USB based camera then receive message " Microsoft camera has been detected but disable by administrator "

can you tell me How can i enable this camera ? Because  i make order for cisco camera but it take 4 to 6 week and i need to finish this task soon, Please give me a solution about this also.

Thanks, waqas

Hi Waqas,

you can upgrade one of the 9971 IP phones first .after u upload the firmware , u need to restart the tftp service.

u can refer this DOC to upgrade one of the phone. you need to configure the new firmware under Phone Load Name option.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a0080a277a3.shtml

So, u need to enter sip9971.9-4-1-9

I am attaching snapshot of unzipped firmware.

Never tried with USB drive.

regds,

aman

Thanks again Aman, 

I downloaed Same File (cmterm-9971.9-4-1-9_REL.zip) from Cisco website. After Unzip i burn a CD and burn these 6 file. But when i try to upload these files give me this error. currepted file
Please help me How can i upload thes files ? And How can i put directory Because  my CUCM and TFTP server is same PC.

Hi Waqas,

Do not burn them on DVD. Unzip and  Simply upload them one by one using SFTP protocol.

u can download freeftpd software and directroty as /

regds,

aman

Hello Aman,

Thanks  Dear you quick response,

I can upload Files using this way but after uploaded. I restaed TFTP services and when i check status of Firmware, then not updated.

I am new user and don't have experince about this. please tell me tell bit brief
thanks, waqas

Hi Waqas,

Please check whether all files have been uploaded successfully or not.

Enter the starting name of each file and then, find.

else from CLI of server, where the files have been uploaded , use command

file list tftp *

regds,

aman

Dear Amanso,

Now i configured both IP Phone 9971 with CUCM 8.6 But unable make Vedio call. I can call like audio but not vedio. Can you tell me what i need to do on IP Phone and CUCM for Vedio call ?