cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unified SIP Proxy - monitoring capabilities.

dschuckman1
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any expierience with monitoring CUSP Modules. I am looking for possible monitoring solutions such as sending traps or syslog messges related to changes in SIP trunk status on the CUSP module. For example, in the event that I see a Server-Group SIP status change to down for an element. I want to be able to generate a message and send to syslog. Has anyone done this? Within the CUSP module, I don't see any logging functionality.

Thanks in advance.

11 Replies 11

asafayan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi -

Did you ever have any success with this monitoring your CUSP modules?  I'm faced with the same issue.

TIA,

Amir

Hi dschuckman1,

I'm wondering if you have monitoring working for the CUSP modules?
I'm struggeling with getting message/traps if the server group goes down.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Peter Hubben

Hi Peter - I have the same issue here regarding getting monitoring data. How are you getting data to monitor for Messages/Traps? We are ftp'ing off the sipmsg logs off the CUSP and feeding them to a syslog, not a pretty picture!

Thanks Paul H.

Hello Paul,

At this time cusp does not offer any specific SNMP traps.  Also, there are no plans to

implement snmp into the cusp module.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Karthik Sivaram

Indeed Cisco will not offer specific SNMP traps. TAC gave me the same info as Karthik.

Thanks Karthik for your good response.

Kind regards,

Peter Hubben

Thanks Karthik and Peter. I thought as much, just wanted to check again. - Paul H.

CUSP 8.5.2 brings the following enhancements to CUSP:

• SNMP
  • Call counting based Call Admission Control (CAC)
  • Detailed call statistics (attempts, success, failure)
  • Database store for SIP messages - easy to search and troubleshoot
  • Performance Control - Configurable system limits

Hi Chester - In the CUSP GUI I can see:

SYSAPPL-MIB
    CISCO-SYSLOG-MIB
    IF-MIB
    ENTITY-MIB
    CISCO-PROCESS-MIB
    SNMPv2-MIB
    IP-MIB

but only SNMPv2-MIB is highlighted and that is the only one I can walk. Do you know if/how any of the other MIB's listed can be enabled? Thanks - Paul H.

Wanted to update this thread.  Looks like the best way to monitor 8.x CUSP is by enabling syslog warning and errors (just these to avoid making it too noisy) and send them to a syslog server or other box that can parse them and alert  on things like server group element OOS.

For version 9.x it's moving to vitualized platform and supports SNMP quite a bit better:

Release 9.1

• Cisco Unified SIP Proxy Release 9.1 supports SNMP MIBs and traps for monitoring its status using the Cisco-USP-MIB and CISCO-PROCESS-MIB.

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Thanks Chester for your inputs. 

I am surprised that there is no reliable monitoring option available for SIP proxy module(which can be most critical component for certain typologies).

we are at 8.5.2 version and struggling to find good monitoring options. Web based CPU and memory graphs is a good option but these options remain manual.  

I just wanted to confirm if these syslog warnings will log CPU utilization which can be interpreted by scripts?

Regards,

Amarjeet

Hi Amarjeet,

Earlier CUSP versions did not even support SNMP, so be thankful we have something.

I don't think syslogs will provide you with CPU utilization info until you hit some critical point.  Since there is no further development efforts going into the CUSP module and all efforts are now on 9.1+ I would try moving in that direction if you can.

FWIW,

Chester

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: