Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VG320 or ATA190

tiger_401
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Currently I have around 30 fax lines and I need to integrate them with my call manager.

Kindly guide me the best solution.

My question is that what will be the best practice or recommend solution for such kind of implementation either I have to got with VG 320 or ATA 190.

Your response in this regard will highly be commendable.

Regards,

Malik.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Malik,

ATA 190 should consume an essential license. There's a known bug where it consumes an enhanced license, but there's a workaround for this and TAC can assist you:

CSCur52045    ATA 190 consumes enhanced license on CUCM 10.5

Workaround requires enabling remote support account on the Publisher. The following is run on the UCM publisher only. Applies to UCM 9.x and later:

From remote support (root):

su - informix
echo "update typelicensedresourceproductmap set tklicensedresource='1' where enum='271'" | dbaccess $(dblutil -c)
exit

You should see this in response to the second line:

Database selected.

1 row(s) updated.

Database closed.

This means the database was successfully updated with the correct licensing value. You will need to refresh license usage data and reports to see the change take effect. Manually refresh the UCM License Report and re-sync with Enterprise License Manager. Otherwise, the change will not be seen until the next scheduled update by License Manager.

If you need ordering or pricing info or presales assistance in general, I would suggest to contact the Partner Helpline team at:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/tools/helponline/index.html

Regards,

Tere.

Regards, Tere. If you find this post helpful, please rate! :)

View solution in original post

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

The ATAs are cheap.

The VGs are IOS based devices and hence much more expensive. But the IOS based VGs are easier to manage, and only having one (IOS!) device to manage is easier than 15. The VG solution is also less clutter if the fax lines are all in one location.

Personally, I'd go for the VG based solution....

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

testeven
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I think you need to check the data sheets for either the VG320 or the ATA 190. The decision will depend on which protocol you need to use for FAX, for example the ATA 190 supports T.38 only and the VG320 supports Cisco Fax Relay, T.38 fax relay, and fax pass-through. There is also a difference on the type and amount of ports. Please compare both:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/ata190-2-port-adapter/datasheet-c78-731473.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/vg-series-gateways/product_data_sheet09186a00801d87f6.html

Regards,

Tere.

Hi Tere,

yes i have gone through both the data sheets. I am fine with ATA190.

how is the performance of new ATA190 .

Do we have to buy additional licenses for this device to get registered with Call Manager.

Regards,

Malik

Hi Malik,

ATA 190 should consume an essential license. There's a known bug where it consumes an enhanced license, but there's a workaround for this and TAC can assist you:

CSCur52045    ATA 190 consumes enhanced license on CUCM 10.5

Workaround requires enabling remote support account on the Publisher. The following is run on the UCM publisher only. Applies to UCM 9.x and later:

From remote support (root):

su - informix
echo "update typelicensedresourceproductmap set tklicensedresource='1' where enum='271'" | dbaccess $(dblutil -c)
exit

You should see this in response to the second line:

Database selected.

1 row(s) updated.

Database closed.

This means the database was successfully updated with the correct licensing value. You will need to refresh license usage data and reports to see the change take effect. Manually refresh the UCM License Report and re-sync with Enterprise License Manager. Otherwise, the change will not be seen until the next scheduled update by License Manager.

If you need ordering or pricing info or presales assistance in general, I would suggest to contact the Partner Helpline team at:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/tools/helponline/index.html

Regards,

Tere.

reply please

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

The ATAs are cheap.

The VGs are IOS based devices and hence much more expensive. But the IOS based VGs are easier to manage, and only having one (IOS!) device to manage is easier than 15. The VG solution is also less clutter if the fax lines are all in one location.

Personally, I'd go for the VG based solution....

GTG

Hi GTG,

I would like you ask that if I go with ATA do I need free FXO ports in the Voice Gateway.

Regards,

Malik

No. The ATA converts from analogue to VoIP. Your voice gateways convert from VoIP to whatever (FXO, ISDN, etc)

GTG

ok thanks,

Can you please share with me the configuration guide for it.

the scenario is that I have existing voice gateway and call  manager 9.1

One of the end user has a fax machine who will be using ATA for sending and receiving fax.

Regards,

Malik.

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

PS - Don't forget that with VoIP systems, fax/modems won't run at high speeds (e.g. V90 or V34) They'll only get to about V32 speeds.

GTG