Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco wireless 840 as a device for UCCX

We have bought 10 new Cisco wireless 840 phone and implemented them on the call manager.
The phones are working fine.... Except.....

We cant use the device in the Finesse as contact center device.
When we select the device in Jabber is will not support this controllerd device.

According to the client devices for UCCX this Cisco wireless 840/860 are not listed.

What is the thought from Cisco when the 7925 and 8821 wifi devices are EOL OES???????

Am I missing something or is this devices just a very expensive not usable device to replace the current wifi phones?

16 Replies 16

Not sure if you’re aware, but Cisco has retracted the EOS for 8821 quite recently.

Response Signature

@Roger Kallberg wrote:
but Cisco has retracted the EOS for 8821 quite recently.

Please, do tell me more.  

All good.  I thought it was indeed retracted and I was looking at an old page.

I need to go back to what I originally stated. The general 8821 is not EOL, it is limited to the EX model per the note that I referenced. I reached out to our account team at Cisco and they clarified that part.

image.png

Response Signature

@Roger Kallberg wrote:
I need to go back to what I originally stated. The general 8821 is not EOL, it is limited to the EX model per the note that I referenced. I reached out to our account team at Cisco and they clarified that part.

That's interesting.  Only the EX is EoS/EoL but the vanilla is not.  

Interesting.

Thanks for the clarification, @Roger Kallberg.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We have been using the 8821 along side the 7925 and the Spectralink Versity 95.

When I first compared the roaming capability with the all three, I was surprised to see the Versity to have superior roaming, followed closely by the 7925.  

Over the years, the most complaints we have received are the 8821.  I barely get complaints about the 7925 and the Versity.  It felt like the handsets did not exist at all.  They just work and kept on chugging along.  When it comes to build quality, the most "defective" phone we get from the field are the 8821.  A lot of them have been held together by clear tape because the "innards" were just falling apart.  

8821 is one of the most poorly designed products to have a Cisco badge.  The wireless NIC, for instance, have several out-of-range (OoR) bugs which cannot be tamed.  It will regularly crash the wireless NIC card, thus, rendering the handset a piece of brick while the Spectralink Versity 95 is making headways. 

In 2021 Cisco inked a deal with Spectralink to re-badge and re-sell the Versity 95 into the WP-840/860. 

Personally, I am really struggling to accept the concept &/or idea of the WP-840/860 as the replacement for the 7921/7925/7928 &/or the 8821.  On one hand, an affordable but simple, reliable and sturdy day-to-day WiFi handset, and on the other, an ultra-premium/ultra-luxury handset.

The 840 is not a replacement, as the UCCX and Jabber are not supporting this device....
Or has anybody found a solution to support the 840 as a device into the UCCX?

I have not yet played with the 840 yet but the 860 we are toying with supports WebEx.  

chhehr
Level 1
Level 1

That would interest me as well, as we have the same situation here.

Cisco Jabber Version 14.1.4.57561 Build 307561 and Cisco 840 Version 1.9.0.1914.

AFAIK the 840/860 is not on the list of supported endpoints and there have been no updates on the mater. I would be quite surprised if it ever is added to the list. When it comes to Jabber it is from what I know a supported endpoint for CCX. We use Webex for many of our CC agents and as that uses the same configuration element in CM as Jabber it should be a working solution as well.

Response Signature

Hi Roger,

we have a hard time using the 840 as a "legit" endpoint in Jabber, if i get you right we should be able to ose it there, as we always did with basically ALL other phones before, even the infamous 8821 and all the ones before.

Is there a "hack" to do, enabling getting them working with Jabber on windows and as well Mac? 

Configuration looks fine, nothing else than before, userconfig and lineconfig reflect the added 840, it´s simply not working. Is there a limit of maximum supported devices, perhaps? There are some added to the relevant users configuration, but we encounterned no problems before just choosing whichever we wanted from the bunch of added devices within the Jabber client.

Thanks in advance, input appreciated

Andreas

What do you mean by “using the 840 as a "legit" endpoint in Jabber”? If you mean the ability to control the device from Jabber that’s IMHO an off-topic question to the OP question and as such it’s recommended that you ask that question in a separate post.

Response Signature

HHello Roger,

sorry to be not precise enough. Yes, exactly, we are talking about controlling the 840 from the Jabber client. If you perhaps have a hint i would appreciate you kick me towards the right direction, otherwise i will open another post.

Thanks!