Views
Helpful
Replies

Clear DNS Cache or DNS Preference?

vivia11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've associated my Cisco IP 8861 phone with an phone service. So every time I press a specific button, the phone will hit a specific service URL.

The service URL I'm using is: foo.example.com

When I do nslookup, I see:

Name: foo.example.com

Addresses: 10.0.0.1

However, in the logs of 10.0.0.1/10.0.0.2, I see that ONLY 10.0.0.1 is being hit. Is there some sort of DNS caching involved with the phone - can I disable this feature? I would like the phone to hit each IP 50% of the time. If there is no DNS caching, is the phone preferring one IP over another? Can I modify this feature anywhere on CUCM?

Note: Details have been changed.

Thank you,

Vivia

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
There is no option to manipulate the DNS cache; however, the phone should respect the TTL provided in the DNS query.

Generally speaking, what you’re asking for is the responsibility of a load balancer. I suggest considering that as the better way to solve this problem.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
There is no option to manipulate the DNS cache; however, the phone should respect the TTL provided in the DNS query.

Generally speaking, what you’re asking for is the responsibility of a load balancer. I suggest considering that as the better way to solve this problem.