Views
Helpful
Replies

Clocking Query for E1 Controller

glenncarter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Only new to the world of clocking so be gentle :-)

I have inherited 4 x 3745 voice routers and am trying to understand why the network clocking is configured the way it is.

On one of the routers there is:

network-clock-participate slot 2

network-clock-select 1 E1 2/1 (this is to the PSTN)

network-clock-select 2 E1 2/0 (this is to our internal PABX)

This makes sense to me that we are taking the clocking from the external service provider.

The other 3 x 3745 routers also contain multiple E1 connections to the external PSTN and internal PABX but are configured to use the backplane for clocking.

i.e. no network-clock-participate for all slots.

From what i have read you are better off using the PSTN connection for clocking rather than the backplane.

There are no slip second errors at all and everything is working fine but I am wondering should i be changing the other three routers clocking sources as a best practice type exercise.

I also have to add a new E1 connection to an internal PABX on one of the routers using the backplane for clocking (with a connection to the PSTN) and am wondering if i leave it as is and use the no network-clock-participate slot for the new card.

Cheers,

G

1 Reply 1

asandborgh
Level 4
Level 4

Glenn,

A couple quick questions -

Are all of the external PSTN connections going to the same carrier?

If so are they going to the same CO switch (to your knowledge?

I don't really understand why they would have you PABX as the second clock source - normally you would use a second line to the carrier and the PABX should be clocking from the router via a participate command

Does the PABX have another E1 directly to the carrier?

Art

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: