Views
Helpful
Replies

CME 4.0 /xtract command

john.dejesus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to setup a VoIP lab network using 2611XM and CME4.0(1). My 2611XM doesn't have enough flash memory. I was only able to load an IOS for CME 4.0(1). Now I cannot extract the cme tar file to 2611XM flash memory. Now, is this necessary to extract the file directly to router's flash memory? Will it work If I extract the file to a different tftp server? or does it have any disadvantages? any suggestions aside from getting a bigger flash?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

It's just a tar file, so you can open the file with WinRAR/7-Zip if you are a windows person, or some nasty commands if you are a *nix person.

You can go through the files it contains, and remove anything you don't need - for example, you probably don't have one of every phone that CME supports, so you don't need all the firmware files. Work out which ones are the ones you need, and remove the rest.

It's a nice learning exercise to know what they are all for anyways..

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

It's just a tar file, so you can open the file with WinRAR/7-Zip if you are a windows person, or some nasty commands if you are a *nix person.

You can go through the files it contains, and remove anything you don't need - for example, you probably don't have one of every phone that CME supports, so you don't need all the firmware files. Work out which ones are the ones you need, and remove the rest.

It's a nice learning exercise to know what they are all for anyways..

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

you're saying that IT'S A MUST to extract those files directly to router's flash?

No - it's the easy option. You can extract the file on your PC, and TFTP off the bits you want one by one.

CME will actually work with no files at all; but you would likely be running wrong firmware, and wouldn't get the GUI. The actual telephony code is built in to IOS.

If I recall correctly things like to gui are in a tar within the tar, so you can /xtract that, then cherry pick the firmware files you want.

I'm lazy, so I would edit the .tar to contain the files I want, then /xtract the reduced tar to the router as I find it easier to arragne the files on a PC.

Regards

Aaron

aaron,

actually i did what you suggested. I edited the .tar file and remove the ip phone firmware and only retain 7940 and 7960. And it worked out just fine. thanks.