Views
Helpful
Replies

CME 8.1 Multiple SIP Trunk authorization problem

jeremyp81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I Have been trying to set up a second SIP trunk for my customers CME 8.1 router. The trunk is from the same provider, and both trunks require seperate credentials and authentication. The First Trunk registers and works fine, The second Trunk will not register. I have looked at the the debug ccsip messages and can see CME is not sending the "Authorization : Digest username= (etc etc) " details - as shown in the following debug ccsip messages output :-

(I have removed ip adresses , replaced real username with USERNAME2 )

Sent:
REGISTER sip:sip02.mytel.net.au:5060 SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP x.x.x.x:5060;branch=z9hG4bKB817954

From: <sip:USERNAME2@sip02.mytel.net.au>;tag=BBFB80FC-17EE
To: <sip:USERNAME2@sip02.mytel.net.au>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 09:48:02 GMT
Call-ID: FD1FBD66-2AE11E0-A42BFB9D-3A7DF8CE
User-Agent: Cisco-SIPGateway/IOS-12.x
Max-Forwards: 70
Timestamp: 1291888082
CSeq: 9 REGISTER
Expires: 3600
Supported: Path <------------ Digest authentication string should be appearing here

Content-Length: 0

As you can see CME is not sending the Authorization details with the SIP register message. The provider replys with "401 unauthorized"

Here is the relevant registration config

credentials username USERNAME1 password PASSWORD1 realm dns:sip07.mytel.net.au
credentials username USERNAME2 password PASSWORD2 realm dns:sip02.mytel.net.au
authentication username USERNAME1 password PASSWORD1 realm dns:sip07.mytel.net.au
authentication username USERNAME2 password PASSWORD2 realm dns:sip02.mytel.net.au
registrar 1 dns:sip07.mytel.net.au expires 3600
registrar 2 dns:sip02.mytel.net.au expires 3600

The router is a 2851 running IOS C2800NM-SPSERVICESK9-M Version 15.1(2)T & CME 8.1. I have also read http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/sip/configuration/guide/sip_cg-multi-registrars.html many times. If somebody could tell me where im going wrong that would be greatly appriciated

Thankyou

4 Replies 4

jgalanter
Level 4
Level 4

Was this issue ever resolved?  I am seeing something similar.

Thanks!

Hey Mate,                 What I found after carefully reading the document is that you have to have a single username across all of your sip providers, i found this to be impossible. What I did is change one of the sip providers to one that supported public ip authentication. It works really well now. I   Jp

Thank You.  Wow - That is not at all what the documentation implies.   One of these days Cisco will ened to get the SIP provider thing figured out.   The way it is now - Support 6 trunks - all from the same provider with the same credentials is useless.

Take Care.

Thanks!

J

I agree the document is pretty tricky in regards to this situation. There is this one note in the document

"The use of multiple usernames is not supported"

In theory you can have multiple digest authentication from multiple SIP providers, however the username needs to be the same across all of the SIP providers. however You can have a different password across the providers. Trying to get multiple providers to do this is impossible, well at least here in my country .

It seems CME was built around IP based authentication. All you need to do is set up a dial peer with a session target of you sip provider and your good to go. Much easier than SIP-UA config. also you could have alot more than 6 providers with this setup, but i dont see why a company using CME would need any more than 2 - 3  trunks. Most providers can do this at your request, however some do not, depending on their security policys.