cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CME/SRST Site

wbarren
Level 1
Level 1

We are going to be brining on a remote site that will have CME/SRST running. They will be connnect to a CUCM 5 clusters. I have read different post were poeple are using MGCP and some H323. I believe I saw a document that Cisco was recommending h323 so that siginaling traffic did not cross that WAN is this still true? Is there any issue with running mgcp for the wan site?

5 Replies 5

pusakills
Level 1
Level 1

H323

I would say that MGCP is for Gateways not for remote sites with SRST, Signaling is anyway going from phones in remote site to Callmanager in Main site.

When you use CME in Remote site, then you can make just a H323 or SIP trunk to Callmanager.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's a design choice which protocol you will use, as far as SRST/CME it supports both, however it requires H323 setup, so if you are using MGCP in normal operation h323 fallback will need be configured.

HTH,

Chris

There is only one reason that I was really looking at MGCP. In my call manager I want to have a rendunant gateway setup an another location in the event that their local PRI goes down. In order to have calls automatically reroute I believe I will need to be running MGCP on the branch gateway. Otherwise call manager will just send the calls to the gateway without knowing the status of their local PRI.

Absolutely not, you can use H323 for that as well and structure your dial-peers accordingly. You may need to play with routing service parameters in order to get it to work though.

Chris

There is only one reason that I was really looking at MGCP. In my call manager I want to have a rendunant gateway setup an another location in the event that their local PRI goes down. In order to have calls automatically reroute I believe I will need to be running MGCP on the branch gateway. Otherwise call manager will just send the calls to the gateway without knowing the status of their local PRI.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: