Views
Helpful
Replies

CME to SRST conversion

alap84
Level 1
Level 1

Hello 

Recently one of our customer bought 4321 on remote site in distributed call environment. They have cucm in Head office, now they are asking to convert cme to srst as centralized deployment so all phones should register to cucm. In branch they have analog lines so users use same line for calling in and out if calling from that branch.

Now my question is 

* cisco has changed his licnesing specially for srst and cme, does customer has to buy srst licnese with respect to end devices. 

* enhanced licneses can be converted from licnesing team to use in cucm?

* what mandotary config requires to be done on cucm and srst router?

Pls guide

13 Replies 13

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
From CME perspective, what licenses do you have currently ?

Regarding config, on CUCM there nothing more than just adding an SRST reference to the device pool. From the SRST router perspective, the following guide should be helpful -

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cusrst/admin/sccp_sip_srst/configuration/guide/SCCP_and_SIP_SRST_Admin_Guide.html

Current router is 4321 with CME not CME-Srst  cme ver 12.0 and 9.0.5 unity express. 

For phones, its enhanced licnese plus ucs140n for AA and voice mail licnese for mailboxes. 

Pls advise 

If you're a partner, get in touch with your SE and/or pre-sales for assistance with this, they can tell you if there's any charge / promotions / options for this.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
If you currently have the "FL-CME-SRST" licenses, you can use SRST on the same router. That would be fine. When you say enhanced, do you have the "SW-CCME-UL-ENH" licenses for the users ?

Hi Nipun

currently, have FL-CME only

for phones yes it is SW-CCME-UL-ENH

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
FL-CME is the top level SKU for CME. You would need the FL-SRST (EoS 29th August) or the newer SRST-EP SKU. I would advise to talk to your AM and see what migration paths are available from current to the newer SRST-EP

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/unified-survivable-remote-site-telephony/eos-eol-notice-c51-740852.html

Dear Nipun

thanks for your reply, I have one more query maybe you can advice

SITE A has CUCM and enough licenses to register new phones, SITE B currently has CME and analogue lines. now the plan is to register the phones on SITE B to SITE A i.e on CUCM.

is it possible to run CUCME in SRST Mode or recommended to do so, if this is the case what steps are required to do so,  does it require any licensing like SRST-EP or is it ok do to so. 

the flow which i understand

"CUCME will be added as MGCP gateway and once the link is down, phones will register back to CUCME with the added ephone/MAC address. is it ok to do so?

so MGCP, CUCME & SRST will co-reside? 

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
You can have CUCME
or SRST, not both at the same time. There is something called CME as SRST but that is just SRST and not CME alone.

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The first part of that doc highlights CUCME. The second part highlights what I mentioned above - CME-AS-SRST :

To enable SRST mode for CUCME, use the srst mode auto-provision command in telephony-service configuration mode,

Again, you either rung CUCME or SRST. Not Both. CME-AS-SRST is not CUCME full functionality. It is SRST but allows for media resource usage, hunt group config etc to name a few. Traditional SRST cannot do this.

Ok i understand tht both cannot be run together, so now currently its running as cme on SITE B, if i enable srst with the same ccme config and during link failover, the ephone configs in ccme will up and phone get register locally, is this the right approach and the thing which i am trying to achieve will be done via this

On cucm, i will add site b gateway as mgcp, will it be ok? So during link failover only the local ephones whose mac was there will register correct ??! 

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would highly recommend to read this -
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cusrst/admin/sccp_sip_srst/configuration/guide/SCCP_and_SIP_SRST_Admin_Guide.html

1. You can use the gateway as MGCP or SIP or H.323. With MGCP you would need to configure the dial plan on the router as well for SRST.
2. You can use classic SRST (don't need to provision either ephone or ephone-dn) or you can use CME-AS-SRST (depending upon the provision mode used you might need to create ephone and ephone-dn. Can be used without creating them as well).

Edit: On CUCM you will add an SRST reference which would be added to the phone device pool. Phones will need to be reset for the config to take effect.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: