cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CME VG224 Information

HollTel.com
Level 1
Level 1

I just started to manage a site that is several states away and I've never been to. (Please hold your applause for later on that one)

My question is they have many VG224's hooked up to there ISR CME. Is there a clean way for me to inventory the VG's and determine what is on each one? Also I was told that one was recently removed so that some of the MAC address are still built but not existent anymore. I've got the IP address to the VG's and can ping from the CME but that's all I've been able to do thus far.

Thank you for all your help I will leave positive feedback for anyone that helps out! Happy Fathers Day!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Deepak Mehta
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey Matt,

Good luck with new assigement.I beleive if you do a telnet from your CME to one of them see if you can access the VG224 or if you have a telnet or SSH client you can try access them directly.

and run sh inventory and sh version and sh diag command to list all the specs.I believe that should do it.thanks

View solution in original post

You can try accessing the Vg224 via same PC , if telnet or SSH is enabled for that it should work(Vg224 is on same network).Also if both CME and VG are in same network then you can just try to telnet from CME using below.

telnet X.X.X.X .

However if you are setting them up for first time then you will need a console cable to access the VG224 and you will have to be near the device.thanks

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Deepak Mehta
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey Matt,

Good luck with new assigement.I beleive if you do a telnet from your CME to one of them see if you can access the VG224 or if you have a telnet or SSH client you can try access them directly.

and run sh inventory and sh version and sh diag command to list all the specs.I believe that should do it.thanks

Deepak,

Thanks for your response. So the way I'm access this CME is thru a PC onsite that I have Putty set up on. How do you Telnet from the CME to the VG? Like I said I am able to Ping from the CME but was not able to ping from the PC to the VG.

Thanks!

You can try accessing the Vg224 via same PC , if telnet or SSH is enabled for that it should work(Vg224 is on same network).Also if both CME and VG are in same network then you can just try to telnet from CME using below.

telnet X.X.X.X .

However if you are setting them up for first time then you will need a console cable to access the VG224 and you will have to be near the device.thanks

Deepak,

Thank you for the great advice! Worked like a charm!

I am curious about one thing if you have the time?

When I make changes to the CME (ie. Set up new ephone-dn and set up ephone with mac address pointing to the correct mac address and port on the VG224 )

then I go into the VG224 and do a show config I don't see the DN's listed in the config?

I see the fallback dn's listed that the old vendor had programmed but not the new ones that I have programmed in the CME? My thought was that when making the changes to the CME that it would make the appropriate changes to the VG224? Am I missing something?

Matthew

Hey Matt,

The config changes for ephone's CME wont reflect on the Vg224 router.

The fallback DN's might be part of SRST config which earlier engineer might have put in to the Vg224 directly.

Deepak,

Am I correct in assuming that the DN's that I've programmed in the CME will reflect in the correct position once I plug in a phone to the corresponding spot on the VG224? Or do I need to go into the VG and make changes to the fallback DN's each time I make a change in the CME.

Matthew

Yes, if you have correct MAC address defined under ephone ,you should be good.

MAC address under ephone should map to the corresponding voice port on Vg224.

Below you will find MAC address mapping details for vg224 and how you can determine MAC for each voice-port.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/vg224-voice-gateway/115021-vg224-voice-gateway-sccp-00.html

Warm regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: