Views
Helpful
Replies

CME with Extension Mobility Password only numbers

renato_ribera
Level 1
Level 1

hello everyone,

My customer has a CME with the feature of Extension Mobility configured working just fine.

But in the IP Phone when he will enter with the user ID and password , he thinks very difficult to have to enter the password as an sms style ( Alphanumeric ) letters and numbers every day.

Is there some setting to activate only numbers on EM password in CME similar to CUCM using only the PIN ( Numbers 0-9 ) ?

4 Replies 4

Nadeem Ahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Refer to this , might help not exactly which you are looking but certainly gonna help if you trick in that way.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11073241/cucme-non-alphanumeric-em-login

Br,

Nadeem

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

Nadeem Ahmed

Thank you for you reply.

I opened a case number 635255843 on cisco about this topic as Below :

And I received the answer that it is a bug that Is being treated with low Priority by Cisco.

******** *********** Question *******************

The problem is on CME version 10.x
My customer has a CME with the feature of Extension Mobility configured working just fine.
But in the IP Phone when he will enter with the user ID and password , he thinks very difficult to have to enter the password as an sms style ( Alphanumeric ) letters and numbers every day.
Is there some setting to activate only numbers on EM password in CME similar to CUCM using only the PIN ( Numbers 0-9 ) ?
He just wants this to be numeric. So fine, you configure the user to be john and pass to be 12345 however when the customer logs into the phones he still has to scroll through the alphanumeric options to get to the numbers as opposed to just pressing the '3' key on the phone and '3' coming up straight away.

This is what I'm trying to achieve. When the customer logs into the phone it is not alphanumeric - just numeric.

Does this make sense?

And is this possible with CUCME?

******** *********** ANSWER BY CISCO TAC *******************

Hi Renato,

>>> Please refer to this document:

[Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express System Administrator Guide -
Configuring Extension Mobility -
Configuring a User Profile]

>>> The "Configuring a User Profile" section of the document, specifies the following command (step 4):

4. user <name> password <password>

>>> The command description is:

Creates credential to be authenticated by Cisco Unified CME before allowing the phone user to log into a Cisco Unified IP phone phone enabled for Extension Mobility.

name = Unique alphanumeric string to identify a user for this authentication credential only.

password = Password for authorized user.

>>> Example:

Router(config-user-profile)# user <me> password <pass123>

>>> As you can see, the "name" and "password" parameters are alphanumeric. At the present time, there is no way to change that. There is a severity 6 bug (an "Enhancement Request") which was opened some time ago about this:

==============================
CSCsw29433   
EM login screen needs to only show numeric options for password
Internally found enhancement (Sev6) bug: N-New

Description:
Current CME 7.0 implementation instructs the phone to show both letters and digits as options for the extension mobility password.
We need a knob to only show digits as option.
==============================

The status of that Enhancement Request is still "New". That means the Cisco BU has not worked on that feature because they consider it a low priority enhancement.

If your customer really needs this, please contact your Cisco Account Manager so that he/she can let the Cisco BU know that there are customers interested on that feature; the BU will then consider the possibility of including that enhancement in future CME versions.

Please let me know if you need further assistance regarding this case or if we can proceed with case closure.

Thanks,

Roberto Jaime
Customer Support Engineer
LatAm Voice

sllac2314
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody, you would to access to: "Service Parameter Configuration" select the extension mobility service and

check if "Alphanumeric User ID Required Field" = TRUE

The OP is asking about CME. What you refer to is related to CM, so it’s not applicable. Apart from that the post is 8 years old, so bringing it up again is not really advisable.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: