Views
Helpful
Replies

Collecting a digit string of variable length from caller in UCCX

Adan Zuniga
Level 1
Level 1

All, 

I am writing a script that prompts the customer to make a One digit selection or a Five digit extension. Is it possible to do this with a collect digit step? If so, would you be so kind as to explain how? 

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

Let's say you expect 1-3 to be single digit, and your extensions start with 4 and are 5 digits.

Do this:

- Collect Digits- store as 'firstbit' - max length 1, flush input buffer = yes

- If (firstbit >= 1 && <= 3)

- TRUE: whatever you want to do with that option

- FALSE: nothing, carry on to next step

- Collect Digits - store as 'secondbit' - max length 4, flush input buffer = no

- Redirect to firstbit+secondbit 

If the caller enters anything starting with digits 1 -3 , the if statement will hit the true branch and you can do whatever you want to do iwth the first digit that is stored in 'firstbit'.

If they enter 4, then the next collect digit will pick up the next 4 digits, you can append the firstbit and secondbit to get the full required extension.

If you don't have a logical layout of numbers (i.e. your 1-digits and 4-digits overlap) then you have designed yourself into a corner, and will either need to redesign or make your scripting very elaborate ;-)

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

Let's say you expect 1-3 to be single digit, and your extensions start with 4 and are 5 digits.

Do this:

- Collect Digits- store as 'firstbit' - max length 1, flush input buffer = yes

- If (firstbit >= 1 && <= 3)

- TRUE: whatever you want to do with that option

- FALSE: nothing, carry on to next step

- Collect Digits - store as 'secondbit' - max length 4, flush input buffer = no

- Redirect to firstbit+secondbit 

If the caller enters anything starting with digits 1 -3 , the if statement will hit the true branch and you can do whatever you want to do iwth the first digit that is stored in 'firstbit'.

If they enter 4, then the next collect digit will pick up the next 4 digits, you can append the firstbit and secondbit to get the full required extension.

If you don't have a logical layout of numbers (i.e. your 1-digits and 4-digits overlap) then you have designed yourself into a corner, and will either need to redesign or make your scripting very elaborate ;-)

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Adan Zuniga
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your prompt response Aaron! 

This is an Avaya script that we are migrating to UCCX. Unfortunately the options and the first number of our various extensions overlap. I am going to suggest that we redesign the script to simplify it. We have extensions that begin with 2 ,3 , 4, 5, 6 , and 7. All these are options too. I was thinking that the inter digit time out could come in handy. Your explanation clarified a lot of doubts. Thanks. 

Hi 

The interdigit timeout could be used but if you do this I would probably confirm the selection back to the caller - if they press 2, and have a 4 second timeout, will they wait? Or hit 2 again for example?

If set too low, will they dial slowly and be misrouted?

Ideally the use of a timeout should be avoided, but if you have no choice, confirming the numbers input back to the caller (if they have entered more than one digit for example, using a 'create generated prompt' step to generate the spoken number) might be a good idea.

Aaron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: